• Smart phone

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lullabelle

Midlands, England
Local time
7:49 PM
Every year we have a calendar hanging up in the hallway, we write down events, birthdays etc. This way we see it every day and there is no chance of accidental double booking.

It doesn't have to be anything fancy, this years isn't, just a standard no-frills £3.99 from WH Smith. For us a calendar is very important.

At work I have a diary as there isn't anywhere to hang anything or have a free standing calendar,

Two of my colleagues prefer to use their phones for personal use and outlook on their work computers. Neither would work for me.

Which do you prefer to use?

For dates I use a diary which is probably because I used one at work and got into the habit. I do sometimes attempt to use my smartphone for reminders or my computer - but somehow I prefer to see it on paper. Its strange really because I'm not exactly a luddite.

I have a large wall calendar at work that shows the entire year, as well as Outlook as part of Microsoft Office. Outlook is synchronized with my phone, so I can add reminders (which I always seem to need). I can also manually add entries to the calendar on my smart phone. I could probably do without the wall calendar, but I find it handy sometimes to see the month (or several months) at a glance. I used to be able to also write projected dates for work-related things on that calendar, but we've been forbidden from doing this for security reasons (not sure which corporate spy really cares about when I'm releasing the software for a prototype build of a pickup truck, but it's not worth the argument).

For dates I use a diary which is probably because I used one at work and got into the habit. I do sometimes attempt to use my smartphone for reminders or my computer - but somehow I prefer to see it on paper. Its strange really because I'm not exactly a luddite.

I have a large wall calendar at work that shows the entire year, as well as Outlook as part of Microsoft Office. Outlook is synchronized with my phone, so I can add reminders (which I always seem to need). I can also manually add entries to the calendar on my smart phone. I could probably do without the wall calendar, but I find it handy sometimes to see the month (or several months) at a glance. I used to be able to also write projected dates for work-related things on that calendar, but we've been forbidden from doing this for security reasons (not sure which corporate spy really cares about when I'm releasing the software for a prototype build of a pickup truck, but it's not worth the argument).

I don't have my phone switched on every day, so having something right there I can see at a glance is perfect.

I use the phone for bill pay reminders, birthdays, anniversaries, appointments, basically any kind of reminder needed. We don't have a land line anymore so phone is always on. Heck, when I fed the vege plants recently, I even put in a reminder when I need to do it again.

Last edited:
Although I often use my smartphone to mark small reminders because is more immediate which are useful especially when I'm away, I also like to keep a paper calendar at home as well as having an agenda on which to mark appointments, deadlines (car insurance policy, etc.) also sticking post-it notes with small notes, or sometimes just for the pleasure of writing something. A habit that I have for years, is to pin on my agenda / notebook, the nice things that I happen to see around or even transcribe phrases written on the walls that capture my attention, thoughts, mark the day and the moment when I see them. Almost a diary. In short, my agenda increasingly has the characteristics of a handbook.

Smartphone.

We have iPhones, so home sharing is turned on & I can add items to everyone’s calendars and set alerts. With 2 teens in the house it’s the best thing I can ever imagine. Everyone knows they are not available because of a family commitment on a particular day or that the Mum Taxi isn’t available because I’m away. So good.

Smartphone.

We have iPhones, so home sharing is turned on & I can add items to everyone’s calendars and set alerts. With 2 teens in the house it’s the best thing I can ever imagine. Everyone knows they are not available because of a family commitment on a particular day or that the Mum Taxi isn’t available because I’m away. So good.

That sounds like sense to me!

I voted smartphone, but actually I would more describe it as "online". We have a variety of shared Google calendars which sync to all our devices so we both know what's going on no matter where we are. We have a main calendar for the usual appointments & events, one for meal planning, and another to remind us when we need to do things for the allotment.

They also sync to Alexa so if we can't remember which bin we need to put out this week, or we want to know what's for dinner tonight we just have to ask Alexa what's in the diary and she'll tell us :happy:

I used to go to printfree.com and print out bold monthly calendars to keep on my desk. There is enough room to make small notes daily. There are several different styles, yearly calendars and cards, as well. Need to get more ink, though.

I used to go to printfree.com and print out bold monthly calendars to keep on my desk. There is enough room to make small notes daily. There are several different styles, yearly calendars and cards, as well. Need to get more ink, though.

I received a printer for Christmas so I may look at this.

Take a look. There are all kinds of goodies to print for free. My printer ran out of ink a while back, and I never replaced it.
Wanted to post a link, but not sure how, unless I go to the laptop.

Can I ask what kind of printer? Let us know if you like it. I've been thinking about replacing mine. I have an older HP, but it won't print wirelessly from my phone. So I gave up.

Back
Top Bottom