Recipe Black Pepper Chicken

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
6:37 PM
This is a Cambodian dish (which was no doubt influenced by the French).

Ingredients
  • 8 chicken drumsticks, skinned
  • 4 teaspoons freshly cracked black peppercorns
  • 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
  • 1 lemon, juice of
  • 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
  • 2 onions, chopped
  • 6 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 30 mm piece ginger, chopped
  • oil, for frying
  • 200 ml water
  • Salt
blackpepperchicken.jpg

Method

Put the chicken drumsticks in a dish. Combine 1 tsp of the black pepper, the turmeric, lemon juice and a pinch of salt, and rub over the chicken.

Cover and leave to marinate in the fridge overnight.

Blend the chopped onions with the garlic and ginger and a little water to make a paste.

In a cast iron frying pan, dry roast the remaining pepper until it begins to smoke. Do not let it burn.

Heat about 2 tbslp of oil in a wok or frying pan and fry the sliced onions until they turn golden. Add the onion/garlic/ginger paste and continue frying until all the liquid has evaporated and the onion is turning brown.

Add about ¾ of the roasted pepper, the chicken including all the marinade juices, 200ml water and ½ tsp salt.
Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through adding a little more water if the sauce gets too thick.

Serve hot sprinkled with the remainder of the roasted black pepper and garnish.

Looks DELISH!!

I'd have to tone down on the pepper if I were to do it. Too much for me makes me go to the bathroom a lot!! :wink:

Looks DELISH!!

I'd have to tone down on the pepper if I were to do it. Too much for me makes me go to the bathroom a lot!! :wink:
TMI. I can't eat too much pork.
Never again will I do all you can ribs without asking if they are pork or beef first.

Ingredients
  • 8 chicken drumsticks, skinned
  • 4 teaspoons freshly cracked black peppercorns
  • 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
  • Juice of a lime
  • 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
  • 2 onions, chopped
  • 6 garlic cloves, chopped or pureed
  • 30 mm piece ginger, chopped or pureed
  • oil, for frying
  • 200 ml water
  • Salt
black pepper chicken.jpg

Method

Put the chicken drumsticks in a dish. Combine 1 tsp of the black pepper, the turmeric, lemon juice and a pinch of salt, and rub over the chicken. Cover and leave to marinate in the fridge overnight.

Blend the chopped onions with the garlic and ginger and a little water to make a paste.

In a cast iron frying pan, dry roast the remaining pepper until it begins to smoke. Do not let it burn.

Heat about 2 tbslp of oil in a wok or frying pan and fry the sliced onions until they turn golden. Add the onion/garlic/ginger paste and continue frying until all the liquid has evaporated and the onion is turning brown.

Add about ¾ of the roasted pepper, the chicken including all the marinade juices, 200ml water and ½ tsp salt.

Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through adding a little more water if the sauce gets too thick.

Serve hot sprinkled with the remainder of the roasted black pepper and garnish.

[Note: If I've posted this previously, please ignore it].

Last edited:
They also take the pish out of my bloo ming plates (implying that they are remnants of the 1920's).

@Yorky

Surely, they are just "envious" & "negative" !

Perhaps, you should find some new positive and inspiring Friends to pal around with !!!!

Or take a can of dog food and make a Burger out of it and serve it to them !!!

Ha Ha Ha ..

Have a great day ..

Funnily enough, the Bloo ming plates were bought in the Robinson's shop in Bangkok in 2000. The only plates that we had here in Nakhorn Nowhere at the time were plastic. We now have a Robinson's outlet locally and they have recently ceased selling the Bloo ming porcelain. My collection could be worth a fortune in a few years.

dishes s.jpg

Funnily enough, the Bloo ming plates were bought in the Robinson's shop in Bangkok in 2000. The only plates that we had here in Nakhorn Nowhere at the time were plastic. We now have a Robinson's outlet locally and they have recently ceased selling the Bloo ming porcelain. My collection could be worth a fortune in a few years.

View attachment 9939

@Yorky

Classic, traditional and lovely ..

This looks amazing. I've never roasted peppercorn before. Any chance that you can go into more detail how its done?

I would put whatever amount of cracked peppercorn that I want roasted into a cast iron pan. Roast it in the oven at say something like 200 until its roasted, but not burnt.

I might try this dish with legs and thighs!!!!

This looks amazing. I've never roasted peppercorn before. Any chance that you can go into more detail how its done?

I should let @Yorky answer, but dry roasting in Asian recipes usually means in a pan over the flame - not in the oven. We are all on different time zones here but I know @Yorky will answer in due course...

Back
Top Bottom