Can anyone identify this cherry?

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
6:22 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I have a number of cherry trees in the garden. they are not in the veg plot, but in an old area that was clearly fenced off in the past but is no longer.
I had noticed that the chooks would visit the area several times a day and had also noticed that there were no fallen fruit on the ground. the chooks go mad over these cherries and also I have seen one of the nectar drinking birds (silver eye) mining these cherries for their sugar.
I have tried them, and they are a sour cherry which is excellent news but I'm curious as to what they could actually be. they are not a deep red cherry when ripe but actually that cherry colour and are white fleshed.
Also does anyone have any ideas on how to preserve them please? I'm thinking of using my dehydrator but am open to ideas.

DSC_0440.JPG
DSC_0442.JPG
DSC_0443.JPG
DSC_0447.JPG

They look like they would make a fabulous cherry cobbler or anything else you want to do with them.
They almost look like the cherries that maraschino cherries are made from.

I have a number of cherry trees in the garden. they are not in the veg plot, but in an old area that was clearly fenced off in the past but is no longer.
I had noticed that the chooks would visit the area several times a day and had also noticed that there were no fallen fruit on the ground. the chooks go mad over these cherries and also I have seen one of the nectar drinking birds (silver eye) mining these cherries for their sugar.
I have tried them, and they are a sour cherry which is excellent news but I'm curious as to what they could actually be. they are not a deep red cherry when ripe but actually that cherry colour and are white fleshed.
Also does anyone have any ideas on how to preserve them please? I'm thinking of using my dehydrator but am open to ideas.
I know you're in Australia, but odd in a way
Its Māori name, tauhou, means "stranger" or more literally, "new arrival".

If the latter of the two mentioned above "a classic sour variety, too sour for many to eat fresh, however are perfect for cooking(pork sauce, I know), jams, preserves, pies etc."

Morello or Kentish have been suggested on a Facebook group I'm in for Gardening in Australia...

I have just had a look at the Lapin cherry and tbh, I don't think it is that. Sadly the labels are long since gone (the previous owner of the house worked in a nursery and there are lots of things that are unexpected, like the 2 grape vines which I need to learn how to look after - I think they are a touch too dry and the soil too pour for them at the moment... is it that too poor for them, yep that looks better! :laugh:

So Morello or Kentish... I'm thinking Kentish looking at the google images of Morello and Kentish...

I shall have another picking session later today. Now to get the sunblinds sorted in my new 'office' or more accurately studio workshop!

Morello or Kentish have been suggested on a Facebook group I'm in for Gardening in Australia...

I have just had a look at the Lapin cherry and tbh, I don't think it is that. Sadly the labels are long since gone (the previous owner of the house worked in a nursery and there are lots of things that are unexpected, like the 2 grape vines which I need to learn how to look after - I think they are a touch too dry and the soil too pour for them at the moment... is it that too poor for them, yep that looks better! :laugh:

So Morello or Kentish... I'm thinking Kentish looking at the google images of Morello and Kentish...

I shall have another picking session later today. Now to get the sunblinds sorted in my new 'office' or more accurately studio workshop!
http://www.yalcafruittrees.com.au/shop/cherry-trees/kentish-cherry/
&
http://www.yalcafruittrees.com.au/?s=Morello+cherry&post_type=product

Thanks. that's the problem of inheriting gardens off people who don't care about them. we'll get all the fallen leaves and dead branches off tomorrow. a lot have already been removed anyhow and look at spraying as soon as we can. there are also numerous smaller cherry trees around the main ones which are curiously clear of it. but I suspect they may be suckers however I'm not sure until I try digging one up! it will have to wait though, this weekend is a) busy with us driving to Sydney to pick up a wood burning stove and b) forecast to be 35-37C.

Sour Cherries
Sour cherries such as Kentish and Stockton Morello have been used as dwarfing stocks for cherries. Trees propagated on these stocks are generally earlier cropping and more resistant to poor drainage. Unfortunately Kentish stocks are prone to heavy suckering. Some selections of sour cherries such as Stockton Morello are less prone to suckering. Most sour cherry rootstocks are not well suited to calcareous or freely draining/drought sensitive soils.
The use of ‘sour cherries’ as inter-stems has been evaluated overseas, but their effectiveness in reducing vigour has not been consistent.
They are not widely used in Australia

www.cherrygrowers.org.au
www.cherries.com.au
www.lovesummerlovecherries.com.au

From
ACPG.jpg

Back
Top Bottom