Can Opener Issues

Miaka_M

Veteran
Local time
4:30 AM
I have an electrical can opener, a hand can opener and some sort of hand device that allows me to poke holes in a can (not sure what its called). My hand can opener recently broke and now I'm stuck with the electrical can opener, the only sad part is that it sometimes doesn't work. In the end, I use the hold poker (that's what I call it). Does anyone else have issues with their can openers like I do? ^.^'

Opened all my cans with a leatherman for the past 10 years or so. Never had a single problem.
Expensive if you use it just for opening cans though. :D

Can openers that don't work are annoying. I don't mind them manual, but sometimes the manual ones (with the gears at least) do get bent out of shape.

That's why lately I've stuck to products that either have pop-open tops that don't need can openers, or the same product in packets made out of mylar or something that keep just as well but are easy to just rip open.

There are some other types of "safety" can openers, that somehow pry open the seal of the can without leaving a sharp edge. I am not entirely sure how they work, but they might be worth looking into, if you are having problems with the traditional models. With regards to the electric models, one of the Youtube videos I was watching on can openers pointed out how dirty those were, since people seldom clean the blades on them, unlike the hand units which are easier to rinse under the sink or wash in the dish washer.

I have only manuals, I got sick of wrestling with the electric ones. I found that my crummy metal opener that cost me just a few bucks is the most efficient way to open a can.

In the UK most of our tins now have ring pull tops which makes life so much easier. All you need is your hands and you are in the tin (in most cases...) I take it they are restricted to the UK? You just open them the same when as you would a can of pop.

images1UWXTDIZ.jpg

In the rare instance that I have purchased something that does not have them (like a nice brand of coconut milk) then I would use the can opener on my penknife.

In the UK most of our tins now have ring pull tops which makes life so much easier. All you need is your hands and you are in the tin (in most cases...) I take it they are restricted to the UK?
Most of the cans I've encountered all over europe do have these. But occasionally I run into some that don't. (for example the tuna fish can's I buy don't have one)

I'm going through this phase with the crumbly can openers I had. I was so fed up with them that I threw them away. We have no can opener now until I get one. I'm looking into getting one that cuts on the side and is electric.

Back
Top Bottom