Recipe Candied Bacon!!

Puggles

Veteran
Local time
4:32 AM
I use thick cut bacon. Your favorite kind will do, although I recommend thick-cut.

Ingredients -
Brown sugar
Apple cider vinegar
Honey
Liquid smoke
Fresh cracked black pepper
Turbinado sugar

You will want to use foil on the bottom of your baking sheets for this, it makes clean up a lot less of a pain in the butt. Also, wire cooling racks are great for this because you don't want to cook the bacon in its own fat (it will shrivel more). Using a wire rack so the fat drips down ensures almost perfectly flat bacon.

I used liquid smoke. (The bacon is Hickory Smoked so and the liquid smoke is also Hickory flavored, so it's a perfect match) Be careful about using liquid smoke with flavors that would not jive well with the smoke of the bacon.

For the glaze, I used the amount I did for the amount of bacon I used and for how many coats of glaze I put on the bacon.

2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. freshly cracked black pepper
2 tsp. Liquid smoke
2 Tbsp. Honey

Preheat oven to 375 F. (190 C. for everyone else on the planet).
Line baking sheet(s) with foil and spray wire racks with non-stick cooking spray.
Line bacon on racks close together, but not overlapping.
Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes (until it's about halfway done).

Drop oven down to 325 F. (148 C. for everyone else on the planet).
After the bacon is cooked halfway, pull out of the oven every 15 minutes and coat bacon with the glaze. Repeat 4-5 times, or until you've reached desired texture with bacon. (I coated the bacon about 4 times, so about another hour after the initial 20-30 minutes at 375 F. (190 C.)

On your very last glaze, while the bacon is nice and sticky, lightly sprinkle the bacon with the Turbinado sugar and let cool for a bit. Then scrape bacon off and stuff your face.

IMG_20180625_205815.jpg
IMG_20180625_205214.jpg
IMG_20180625_223410.jpg

Last edited:
This is looking delicious! Silly question perhaps but how do you eat it? I mean what with - or is it a snack on its own?

We have a restaurant here called First Watch. This is how they describe their "Million Dollar bacon."

Four slices of our signature hardwood smoked bacon baked with brown sugar, black pepper,
cayenne and a maple syrup drizzle.

I order it almost every time we go there to eat with my breakfast. It could also be a snack with drinks. There are bars in the U.S. that actually serve bowls of bacon at happy hour. There are even some that make cocktails with bacon, bacon fat, freeze dried bacon.

This is looking delicious! Silly question perhaps but how do you eat it? I mean what with - or is it a snack on its own?
Any way you want! Substitute regular bacon for this for just about anything. This candied bacon goes great crumbled on a salad.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom