Recipe Candied Yams or Sweet Potatoes.

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
2:10 PM
Ingredients;

For those of you who might like to try this recipe, here it is!

5 to 6 large yams or Sweet Patatoes.

1 cup water.

3/4 cup light brown sugar (packed in cup), light or dark.

3/4 cup sugar.

1/2 cup honey.

1/2 cup raisins (optional).

1 can pinapple chunks (optional, Liquid can be used as part of the water).

1/4 cup bourbon whisky (optional).

1/2 stick butter.

Small dash each of;

Salt.

Cinnamon (or you may use a cinnamon stick).

Nutmeg.

Allspice.

1 tespoon vanilla extract.

1/2 teaspoon lemon extract.

1 Tablespoon constarch (for slurry).

1/4 cup reserved cold water (for slurry).

Directions;

Peel sweet potatoes. Cut into about 1 to 2-inch thick slices. Rinse potatoes. Place potato slices into large 4-qt or 5-qt Ductch oven.

Add next 10 or 12 ingredients. Cover pot and bring liquid to a rolling boil. Reduce heat to medium low and let simmer for about 1 hour and 15 minutes or until liquid is slightly like syrup.

Caution;

Do not add more than a very small dash of the spices, or else they can and will be too overbearing, especially the cinnamon, and they will drown out the taste of the potatoes, honey and vanilla.

Do NOT EVER stir stir potatoes, as they will be really soft and you'll break them up if you do!

Meanwhile, mix the 1 tablespoon of cornstarch with the 1/4 cup reserved cold water to make a slurry mixture. Make sure that there are no lumps. Pour the slurry all over potatoes and liquid.

Wiggle and tilt pot slightly around all sides to evenly distribute and blend the slurry with and into the hot liquid. Let it simmer until slightly thickened. This helps to thicken liquid and make it look and taste like a sweet dark sauce. Enjoy!

This recipe is our own real down-home Southern-style family recipe, passed down from my mom. Part of the Soul dinners that we always like to make on some Sundays and holidays! I've done it like this since I've been on my
own. :wink:

Mod Edit. Content Deleted

Last edited by a moderator:
58 051.JPG

I really need to eat more sweet potatoes in general because they're SO much better for you than regular potatoes (but I love them both so oh well). My boyfriend especially loves the sweet potato fries and so I should maybe make some of that myself or something...

We don't usually eat candied yams/sweet potatoes during the year unless it's around the holidays. And even then I find it to be much too sweet for me (I didn't grow up eating it; didn't start consuming it until like a few years ago).

Back
Top Bottom