Canning Meats

Kate

Veteran
Local time
2:12 AM
Anyone here can meats? I have to assume that there's a whole different process than there is for canning things like fruits and veggies?

I'd love to be able to have meat preserved to last the winter, but there's just something about it that feels unsafe to me although I know a lot of people do it. My freezer often gets filled with other things that use up the space... but at the moment I only freeze meat... any tips on other ways to preserve it?

I didn't know people actually canned meats themselves, I take it you put it in a can and then put it in the freezer?

Yes, I don't think that other than freezing meat, someone can actually can meat as it should be processed.

You can still get it frozen without a can, just in an hermetic plastic recipient, a plastic bag, or wrapped in aluminium or waxed paper, if not in the container it comes for the supermarket.

Meat can also be processed as marmalade, jam, and other homemade food products are processed.

Last way to preserve at home is using a dehydration, salted process, a method commonly used by native Indian tribes since remote times.

I didn't know people actually canned meats themselves, I take it you put it in a can and then put it in the freezer?

I'm not sure what other places/languages call what we call "canning" in America. No, this doesn't involve an actual can... or the freezer.

What we call canning uses glass mason jars and a pressure canner or hot water pack cooking until the lids seal on the jar. Explanation here: http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/publications_usda.html Actually now that I had to find this explanation, the pdf document will probably answer the question I asked about canning meat.

What *do* other places in the world call the process of preserving fruits, meat, soup, etc. in airtight sealed mason jars? :)

Some native indigenous tribes in Canada, the United States and Mexico have a "canning" technique consisting of dehydrating meet with the aid of salt for preservation.

So canning many times is a way to express different preservation methods used to extend the shelf/cooking time of a food product.

What *do* other places in the world call the process of preserving fruits, meat, soup, etc. in airtight sealed mason jars? :)

In the UK - Bottling

In France - Conserver / Preserver

Very common to Conserve meat here (France) :)

In reply to the OP the process is pretty much the same, but the times vary a lot

There are lots of YouTube videos on the subject matter. I need a new petcock for my canner. I have canned meat once and I messed up because I canned some noodles with it. I was going for chicken noodle soup.... It turned out horrible. That was back before Youtube videos became popular. After that episode I just used it for pressure canning the veggies/fruits that needed pressure canning. After I get this new petcock that is on back order, pressure canning meat, here I come!

After that episode I just used it for pressure canning the veggies/fruits that needed pressure canning. After I get this new petcock that is on back order, pressure canning meat, here I come!

Okay, now you have me totally curious, Shellyann36... since I've not used a pressure canner, I have no idea what this is and have never heard the term. What is the petcock?

And YouTube... I've used that for many things but hadn't considered it for canning advice. I'll have to check it out!

Okay, now you have me totally curious, Shellyann36... since I've not used a pressure canner, I have no idea what this is and have never heard the term. What is the petcock?

And YouTube... I've used that for many things but hadn't considered it for canning advice. I'll have to check it out!

A petcock is a little weighted valve that sits on top of the lid where the steam comes out. You time your canning with this. Once it starts rocking that means that a certain amount of pressure is built up in the canner and you start your timer because you want your jars canned at x amount of pressure for x amount of hours.

Yes YouTube is quite amazing for learning things!

Back
Top Bottom