Can't wait for my tomatoes to fruit

polgara

Veteran
Local time
11:01 AM
I'm only doing two tomato plants this year as I'm very limited in time and space. I've moved back to Maine to take care of my 90-year old grandmother, as I mentioned in an earlier thread elsewhere. Sadly, there is no space for a real garden, plus she doesn't leave me a lot of time to garden, so only two tomato plants in containers this year.

They're doing well so far but I find I am impatient as I can't wait to have lovely, fresh tomatoes. The ones you buy in the supermarket are so tasteless after being picked too early and then shipped hundreds or thousands of miles. The two plants should give me plenty for fresh eating and lots to make sauce with, I hope.

i have some tomato plants outside my conservatory,they have flowered and seems to be plenty of fruit on them ,i have started to feed them so here goes a good crop,i did have a green house but took it down as it seemed to be getting pains of glass broken to often,
even if we get some that don't ripen we turn them into a green tomato pickle

Earlier I looked outside at my "once upon a time garden" and it made me very sad. There is neither tomatoes, sweet peppers, cucumbers, nothing. It's just a desolate waste at present. The 'best' gardener has been fired and I want desperately to bring him back. Neither my husband or myself can deal with it. The last time I had tomatoes from my garden they looked a little unwell, but still they were from my garden and I was please.

I had been to the province and just got home today. This thread reminds me of the huge tomato plant (they call it tree). About 5 feet high, the tomato plant has countless of fruits that can perhaps fill a basket or two. The backyard farmer who owns it said that he is gathering cattle manure and drying it before applying to the tomatoes to induce the plant to bloom. And when flowers appear, the plant is irrigated regularly and generously. That technique would bring you lost of tomato for harvesting.

Mine haven't even started to flower yet! But the potatoes are doing well and it won't be long before they stop being earthed up and I have planted some heritage carrots in a potato bag as well. This gives them a good long rooting area and gets them above the rabbit head area!

Is a tomato plant going to last a year? I remember we have some tomatoes on pots but after they bore fruit they wilted and died. Does it mean that I have to replace them after the fruiting season? Are they perennial plants so to speak?

I would love a tomato tree like the one you describe @Corzhens. I haven't had a good tomato harvest for a long time now as a result of the cold weather. Tomatoes do poorly without the sun here. Alway like to eat food from my own garden.

I would love a tomato tree like the one you describe @Corzhens. I haven't had a good tomato harvest for a long time now as a result of the cold weather. Tomatoes do poorly without the sun here. Alway like to eat food from my own garden.
The problem here with tomatoes is the rainy season. When it rains, the flowers of the tomato plant is destroyed and if still in the stem, they wouldn't fertilize and become fruits. And when the storm comes, even the tomato plant would sometime perish depending on the magnitude of the storm. We usually plant tomatoes in January so it would be safe from the rains. But tomatoes in our backyard are just the wild, that means we didn't plant them intentionally, they just grew up from the seeds we threw in the backyard.

Back
Top Bottom