Carambola

...or star fruit. They are very pretty but don't taste particularly interesting or at least the ones I've tried don't. I've always thought this fruit is 'style over substance'!

...or star fruit. They are very pretty but don't taste particularly interesting or at least the ones I've tried don't. I've always thought this fruit is 'style over substance'
That´s probably because you´ve only tasted them in the UK. They´re an interesting fruit; wonderful for decorating food; intensly acidic, slightly sweet; have to be perfectly ripe to really enjoy them. I´ve made jams, jellies and chutneys with them, with varying success.

Anyone had these? They are also called "star apples".
Starfruit, yep, they grow well here in SFL. I have a tree that doesn't give me fruit all the time, but I got a good crop last time, so I made jam:
Help me make jam & jelly
The flavor can be tart, even if the fruit looks ripe. When it is truly ripe, its sweet, a bit acidic, and quite juicy. My foray into starfruit jam is a new thing. Usually I cut cross sections of the fruit for cocktail garnishes and also to add to white wine sangria.

Back
Top Bottom