Recipe Caramelised Onion and Blue Cheese Dip

karadekoolaid

Legendary Member
Local time
4:27 AM
Ingredients:
350 gms strong Blue cheese ( Stilton, Bleu d´Auvergne or Bayley Hazen Blue)
250 gms onion, sliced thinly into half moons
125 gms sour cream
125 gms heavy cream
250 gms mayonnaise
90 gms greek yoghurt
2 tbsps butter
salt and pepper to taste

Method:
  • Melt the butter in a pan or saucepan and add the sliced onions. Cook gently over a low flame until the onions are soft and caramelised, about 20 minutes.
  • Crumble the blue cheese into a large bowl and add all the other ingredients, including the onions. Mix well, adjust the seasoning if necessary and chill before serving.

I wish I liked blue cheese. Pretty sure I could substitute feta or chunks of pecorino. The onions are a fabulous idea.

I wish I liked blue cheese. Pretty sure I could substitute feta or chunks of pecorino. The onions are a fabulous idea.
You need a strong, crumbly cheese. Pecorino is too hard I think - same as Cheddar. Feta sounds good, as long as it´s a strong Feta. Don´t go buying a "Lite" version.:D:D Other crumbly cheeses - well I don´t really know of any US cheeses , but a British Wensleydale, Cheshire or Caerphilly (all crumbly) would also work.

You need a strong, crumbly cheese. Pecorino is too hard I think - same as Cheddar. Feta sounds good, as long as it´s a strong Feta. Don´t go buying a "Lite" version.:D:D Other crumbly cheeses - well I don´t really know of any US cheeses , but a British Wensleydale, Cheshire or Caerphilly (all crumbly) would also work.
Lite? What is that? I am the purveyor of butter and heavy cream, I don't do light anything, lol.

I've had a great peppercorn pecorino dressing at this local Italian place. Fabulous. Now that I think about it, there were shaved pieces in it, not chunks.

I think cheddar would suck in a dressing, not because of texture, though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom