Recipe Caramelized Lime Fried Boneless Pork Chops and Lime Boiled Crawdads

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
12:53 PM
Here's a rather unattractive, but very flavorful meal, part knife and fork and part finger food (messy finger food, to be sure).

CajunLimePorkChopsAndCrawdads00.png

It's very tart from Limes and very spicy from a wonderful Cajun Spice Mix of my own defining. You may feel free to alter some aspects of this recipes to suite your own tastes, but the messy finger food nature cannot be avoided. Have strong paper towels handy and perhaps even a small bowl part full of water to clean your fingers.

Down in the bayou and river country of Louisiana and Mississippi, crawdad season starts mid January and peaks in March through May. Crawdad feeds are a social event where large vats cook thousands of them at a time with a Wild Bore or Hog roasting on a spit. Fiddle and Guitar music that is lively and brisk is played and folks dance and party.

Ingredients:

CLPCC_Ingredients.png

Procedure:

Make up the Cajun Spice Mix ...

1) Mix 1 part of all Spices, but 3 parts of paprika and cayenne pepper in a suitable container.
2) Dice up 1/2 cup of Onion.
3) Clean the dry skins off about 20 Garlic Cloves. Leave Whole.

Prepare the Crawdads ...

4) Boil Crawdads in water at 275 degrees with whole Garlic Cloves and Onion.
5) Drain off most of the water.
6) Add Lime Juice and Flesh.
7) Heat until Juice is reduced to thickness.
8) Add 1/2 the prepared Cajun Spice.
9) Heat further, stirring to coat Crawdads in Spice Mix.

Prepare the Pork Chop(s) ...

10) In a frying pan at 200 degrees, reduce Lime Juice to thick.
11) Add Cajun Spice Mix, Garlic, Onion and Mushrooms
12) Pan fry Boneless Pork Chops while caramelizing the Lime Juice

Serve ...

13) Remove Crawdads and Pork Chops to a Plate.
14) Serve with a Dry White Wine (Chardonnay in this case).

CajunLimePorkChopsAndCrawdads01.png

To eat Crawdads from a plate like this, pick one up and suck away the sauce. Then pull off the carapace of the crayfish. You can then pull away the tail and remove the tail shell before eating it. Some people will eat the gills, head and the legs (shell on). Lick your fingers, wash them in a bowl of water and always towel them off before handling silverware or that Wind glass. Don't wipe on your clothing. Use strong paper towels or a cloth.

I've heard so much about the crawfish feasts in the South. Your dish sounds delicious - I'd love it. We do get crawfish (crayfish) here but unless you go fishing for them yourself they come peeled in measly little packets and they are very small. Are crawdads super big crawfish?

Are crawdads super big crawfish?

Crawdads are Crayfish. The name is a regional colloquialism that these days has gone the same for all of at least, North America. The ones I used are moderate in size to smallish. You don't usually see the really big ones sold in markets.

It is difficult to find Crawdads in the grocery store, unless it is the season for them. And at first, you might think that there aren't enough people that like them. But they are very popular.

There's a River Boat Restaurant that serves them in California's state capitol, Sacramento ...

http://saccrawdads.com/

And here in my neck of the woods, a franchise called Crawdaddy's has two local restaurants ...

http://www.crawdaddy.co/Home/

These restaurants are not likely as tart and spicy in their menu items as what I have created here.

Fantastic. My only dip in the New Orleans pool was on vacation last year, but this certainly seems like something that I would have been happy to pay for at a restaurant. Hopefully @ElizabethB stops by to see this so she can lend us her regional perspective.

Fantastic. My only dip in the New Orleans pool was on vacation last year, but this certainly seems like something that I would have been happy to pay for at a restaurant. Hopefully @ElizabethB stops by to see this so she can lend us her regional perspective.

That's a great compliment. But I hope that restaurant supplies those plastic bibs and some heavy duty hand towels. :p:

Back
Top Bottom