Recipe Caramelized Onion, Bacon and Spinach Pizza

Local time
9:59 PM
And I am back hopefully to make some more meaningful contributions. What better way to start than with some comfort food of sorts. I cannot function without onions and wanted to find something that would be practical for me. Here goes.
caramlized-onion-bacon-and-spinach-pizza4-srgb..jpg

Yield: 1 12-inch pizza

Ingredients

• 1 lb pizza dough homemade or store bought
  • 7 slices bacon (7 oz), cooked and chopped
  • 3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
  • 8 oz baby spinach
  • 1 large red onion, sliced 1/4-inch thick slices
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tsp granulated sugar
  • 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • 1 large clove garlic
  • 2 Tbsp flour
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 6 oz low-moisture mozzarella cheese, shredded
  • 2 oz parmesan cheese, finely shredded
Directions

• Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
  • Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add spinach and saute just until wilted. Transfer to several layers of paper towels and squeeze some of the excess liquid from spinach, set aside.
  • Add another 1 Tbsp olive oil to skillet and set over medium heat. Add onions, season lightly with salt and saute 10 minutes. Add sugar and cook until they begin to caramelize, about 5 - 10 minutes longer, adding a few tbsp water as needed to prevent them from drying and burning. Stir in balsamic vinegar and cook 1 minute longer, set aside.
  • Shape pizza dough into a 12-inch round over a lightly floured sheet of parchment paper, leaving a larger rim around edge of dough for crust. Brush top with remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil and let rest 10 minutes.
  • In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and garlic and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. While whisking, slowly pour milk into flour mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste and bring mixture just to a boil stirring constantly then remove from heat.
  • Spread white sauce evenly over pizza, leaving crust uncoated. Top with half of the mozzarella and half of the parmesan, then add spinach, bacon and onions. Top with remaining half of the mozzarella and parmesan. Transfer pizza on parchment paper to a pizza pan (or preheated pizza stone if you like a crisp crust) and bake in preheated oven 11 - 13 minutes until cheese is melted and crust is golden.
  • Recipe source: Inspired by Cooking Light
http://www.cookingclassy.com/2015/0...ampaign=Feed:+blogspot/BfaXW+(Cooking+Classy)
Enjoy.

I agree. It's the kind of thing I would love sinking my teeth in. It's a shame when you have to watch everything you eat.

Yeah, I can only have pizza one every blue moon. It is the starch in the crust that could send my glucose level through the roof. or I might end up back in the hospital again!! :(:ohmy:

Yeah, I can only have pizza one every blue moon. It is the starch in the crust that could send my glucose level through the roof. or I might end up back in the hospital again!! :(:ohmy:
We would not want that- you ending up in the hospital. Around here people are dropping down dead so often it's frightening. I guess it's because we are a small country that it is such big news. My mom is in her 80s and while she is not in the peak of health she's doing reasonably well. She probably ate so much flour in her time, now I have to "watch" this and "watch" that it takes all the fun out of the yummy stuff.
Close your eyes whilst eating!
Great tip:).

And I am back hopefully to make some more meaningful contributions. What better way to start than with some comfort food of sorts. I cannot function without onions and wanted to find something that would be practical for me. Here goes.
caramlized-onion-bacon-and-spinach-pizza4-srgb..jpg

Yield: 1 12-inch pizza

Ingredients

• 1 lb pizza dough homemade or store bought
  • 7 slices bacon (7 oz), cooked and chopped
  • 3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
  • 8 oz baby spinach
  • 1 large red onion, sliced 1/4-inch thick slices
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tsp granulated sugar
  • 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • 1 large clove garlic
  • 2 Tbsp flour
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 6 oz low-moisture mozzarella cheese, shredded
  • 2 oz parmesan cheese, finely shredded
Directions

• Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
  • Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add spinach and saute just until wilted. Transfer to several layers of paper towels and squeeze some of the excess liquid from spinach, set aside.
  • Add another 1 Tbsp olive oil to skillet and set over medium heat. Add onions, season lightly with salt and saute 10 minutes. Add sugar and cook until they begin to caramelize, about 5 - 10 minutes longer, adding a few tbsp water as needed to prevent them from drying and burning. Stir in balsamic vinegar and cook 1 minute longer, set aside.
  • Shape pizza dough into a 12-inch round over a lightly floured sheet of parchment paper, leaving a larger rim around edge of dough for crust. Brush top with remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil and let rest 10 minutes.
  • In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and garlic and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. While whisking, slowly pour milk into flour mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste and bring mixture just to a boil stirring constantly then remove from heat.
  • Spread white sauce evenly over pizza, leaving crust uncoated. Top with half of the mozzarella and half of the parmesan, then add spinach, bacon and onions. Top with remaining half of the mozzarella and parmesan. Transfer pizza on parchment paper to a pizza pan (or preheated pizza stone if you like a crisp crust) and bake in preheated oven 11 - 13 minutes until cheese is melted and crust is golden.
  • Recipe source: Inspired by Cooking Light
http://www.cookingclassy.com/2015/0...ampaign=Feed:+blogspot/BfaXW+(Cooking+Classy)
Enjoy.

I really, really don't want to say this... but the recipe specifies red onion. Is this allowed @classic33? For some reason I was assuming bulb onion was white onion or brown onion (white inside). If red is allowed I have an entry to hand!

I really, really don't want to say this... but the recipe specifies red onion. Is this allowed @classic33? For some reason I was assuming bulb onion was white onion or brown onion (white inside). If red is allowed I have an entry to hand!
It's the second one entered, out of the four sofar. I might have to include red onions just so there are more than two entries

Correction,
It hasn't been entered. It's not been tagged and it's not in the recipe challenge thread either.

Last edited:
This looks great. It is obvious that you are a great pizza lover. Strangely enough, now that we have onions as the main ingredient for the challenge, onions seem to be scarce around here. I never cook without onions so I will have to substitute for the next few days until I see it back on the shelves again. Of course we can substitute onion powder though it is not quite the same as using fresh onions. I understand that chives are also good.. I believe I used red onions in one of my recipe entries too.

Given there's only two that do qualify, I'm going to include those already posted.
Well if that is the case I am putting it back up. Something is going on with me. It took more than 15mins to get that entry in. I was all over the place.

Back
Top Bottom