Recipe Caramelized pears

Hemulen

Woof-woof
Local time
2:39 AM
I thought of making oven-baked pears but didn't bother. This kettle-cooked version turned up to be delicious.

Time: 20-30 min
Serves four

Ingredients

8 small slightly raw pears
1 l water
1-2 dl brown sugar (Indian sugar)
0,5 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla sugar/vanilla extract
2-3 tbsp butter/vegetable margarine
1 tbsp cognac

Work steps

Use a large steel saucepan or a high-edged teflon pan. Remove the pear pods and cut the flesh into large chunks.
Boil the water (maximum heat), add the pear bites, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla flavoring and reduce the liquid until thick. Beware not to bubble the mixture over. Turn on low heat. Add the butter/margarine and let the mixture simmer until it looks brown and caramelized. Add the cognac and serve with whipped cream and sour cream (curd) mixture or vanilla ice cream.

^ Pears simmering. The foam on the edges shows the height of the bubbling.
When ready, I served this super sweet treat in wine glasses.

This sounds delicious. Did you get a photo of it in a serving with the cream/ice-cream? Also - can it be served hot or cold?

^ ....The photo: unfortunately not; we offered our friends a harvest menu at the countryside with several dishes and plenty of alcohol so I didn´t know how to take pictures later in the evening. I didn´t burn the place but I did manage to break one kitchen cupboard door made of glass. No injuries. Seriously, we had a good time so I focused on preparing the dishes, setting the table and entertaining the guests. The glass door was already crooked: a real nuisance with an inoperative hinge. The pears were served chilled with a readymade sweetened vanilla sour cream-whipped cream mixture (sold in a carton).

Here is the full menu (consisting of just several hors d'oeuvres):

Miso soup with porcini mushrooms (Boletus sp.), homegrown carrots and zucchini spaghetti, garlic bread
Perch fillets in sage butter with mashed potatoes
Dill-cooked crayfish (spot crabs) with toast
Lemon sherbet
Warm goat cheese salad with pine kernels, skinned red grapefruit and balsamico sauce
Chanterelle omelette
^Them pears
Coffee and petit fours

I didn´t burn the place but I did manage to break one kitchen cupboard door made of glass.

Oh my!

Miso soup with porcini mushrooms (Boletus sp.), homegrown carrots and zucchini spaghetti, garlic bread
Perch fillets in sage butter with mashed potatoes
Dill-cooked crayfish (spot crabs) with toast
Lemon sherbet
Warm goat cheese salad with pine kernels, skinned red grapefruit and balsamico sauce
Chanterelle omelette
^Them pears
Coffee and petit fours

Wow! If that is an example of Finnish fare then I'm in. Even a 'palate cleaner' sherbert! This kind of meal I like. Lots of courses but nothing too heavy. And no meat (I do eat meat but not a lot).

Back
Top Bottom