Carbs or proteins?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
6:50 PM
Who knows whether a high protein or high carbohydrate diet is better? Probably neither - but I'm asking the question anyway. If you had to choose which would you prefer? Would you choose a high protein diet or a carbohydrate based diet. I'd prefer carbs. I love my potatoes!

Last edited:
Much as I love carbs and practically live off them, I would imagine that a high protein diet is probably better for you because of the need for essential amino acids in the body.

I know as a veggie allergic to all dairy (or vegan plus eggs) I have to concentrate very hard in getting enough protein into my diet everyday (eggs only provide an average of 6g each.)

The BBC states this about protein (their bold) which seems to be the recommended value around the world.

In the UK, adults are advised to eat 0.75g of protein for each kilogram they weigh, based on the Reference Nutrient Intake (RNI). So if you weigh 70kg (11 stone), you should eat about 52.5g of protein a day. On average, men should eat 55g and women 45g ofprotein daily

The NHS just says 50g protein a day with no explanation of how that figure is arrived at or if it is for a certain weight etc...

I have to concentrate very hard in getting enough protein into my diet everyday (eggs only provide an average of 6g each.)

This shocked me as I think its very unlikely I ever reach a ratio 52.5g of protein a day (as recommended). My main source of protein is eggs and occasionally, some cheese. For others reading this and getting puzzled, then you need to know I cook all manner of things for other people and certainly taste them - but I don't eat very much myself.

This shocked me as I think its very unlikely I ever reach a ratio 52.5g of protein a day (as recommended). My main source of protein is eggs and occasionally, some cheese. For others reading this and getting puzzled, then you need to know I cook all manner of things for other people and certainly taste them - but I don't eat very much myself.
Me too. Despite eating eggs (only from my own chickens though) everyday (in Australia this is acceptable), I know I only average less than half my required protein. I've started to supplement my diet with a vegan protein shake (as a result of my 2 month stay in hospital last year where getting even a third of my requirements was almost impossible not even taking into account healing needing more) but I only add 20g max a day in via this method (except when in hospital).

I'm pretty sure I recall reading somewhere that the body can only absorb something like 20g (maybe it was 29g?) at a time, so it was pointless eating more than that on each occasion. But I'm not sure where I read that, so can't say for definite or give a link.

Me too. Despite eating eggs (only from my own chickens though) everyday (in Australia this is acceptable), I know I only average less than half my required protein.

Beans and lentils are also protein and I do eat those quite often. I've got to a point where I just eat what feels right. I can't deal with a lot of fat. I am a bit worried about my son who is 6 ft plus and recently vegan. I cook for him most days making what I would think are filling nutritionally balanced meals. Afterwards he then makes doorstep sandwiches with peanut butter to fill up! Well, nuts are protein...

I'd like to know what other members think. I am going to be controversial and say that America has a reputation for being rather meat-centric, which means protein high. Is that really true? Could you guys survive without much meat or other protein? :D

Beans and lentils are also protein and I do eat those quite often. I've got to a point where I just eat what feels right. I can't deal with a lot of fat. I am a bit worried about my son who is 6 ft plus and recently vegan. I cook for him most days making what I would think are filling nutritionally balanced meals. Afterwards he then makes doorstep sandwiches with peanut butter to fill up! Well, nuts are protein...
If he's constantly hungry, it is probably protein related. It certainly was for me when dairy was ruled out of my diet permanently.

I couldn't survive without potatoes of which I eat a lot.

Meat and eggs are high on my list of regular foods so in answer to your question - neither.

To clarify, I've never been on any kind of diet in my whole life (unless my mum put me on one before I knew).

I really couldn't choose between carbohydrates and protein - I love bread and potatoes, but then I also love meat, eggs and cheese.

I don't aim for any particular nutrition profile, but looking at the nutrition report in my food diary the average daily for January & February is:
Carbohydrate 129g
Protein 63g
Fat 65g
I'd guess this is probably a bit lower than what I used to eat (I am dieting after all!) but I'd say this is a pretty normal split because I've not changed what I eat very much, just reduced the portion sizes.

Last edited:
I prefer a balance. When I was in my early 20s, I went into weight training. I used a low carb (no more than 40 grams per day), high protein diet to loose weight, burn fat and increase muscle mass. That meant no beer!:eek: I was miserable.:( After about 6 months of this, I decided that I'd rather be fat and happy than flat and snappy.:whistling:

If he's constantly hungry, it is probably protein related. It certainly was for me when dairy was ruled out of my diet permanently.
He eats whole blocks of tofu as a snack! I cook tons of beans and lentils and give him double portions. Also meat substitutes like seitan. I'm not sure what else I can do to supplement the protein.

I much prefer to get protein from plant sources. It seems to suit my stomach. I cooked some chicken last night (I'm at my friend's) and couldn't finish my small portion.

I used to track my food intake using a site that also calculated targets for protein, fat, carbs, sugar, and sodium. More often than not, I fell short of my protein, was close on fats, exceeded my carbs, was close to the totals in sugar, and also exceeded my sodium by a LOT (particularly when I had Asian food).

I generally fall short of protein and fats, exceed carbs and sugars. Sodium I don't tend to exceed but potassium I'm always down, way short on. Right now my GP had me on slow release potassium tablets, but the hospital have increased my dose by 6, and put me on 24hr IV potassium as well. I've also been given soluble oral potassium list night in addition.

After I stopped the weight training, I realized that I had a massive B12 deficiency. As I started to replenish my B12 intake, I also realized that my right arm was getting a great workout from curling all those 12oz bottles!:okay:

Back
Top Bottom