Cardamon Seeds

TruffleChrissy

Über Member
Local time
8:16 AM
What's the best way to extract the flavour from the pods but avoid the husks? I want to make orange and cardamon choc truffles but not sure of what to do with the pods.

What's the best way to extract the flavour from the pods but avoid the husks? I want to make orange and cardamon choc truffles but not sure of what to do with the pods.
Split the pods open (you can do this by hand or crush in a pestle and mortar). Either remove the seeds and place them in a saucepan or place whole split pods in a saucepan. Cover with cream and warm gently for 15 mins or so. Strain to remove seeds/pods.

Alternatively, remove the seeds and crush them finely using a spice grinder. Warm gently in the cream (with orange zest, perhaps) for 5 mins. Leave to infuse for 30 mins or so. This way you can avoid straining the cream - but be sure to use a spice grinder to achieve a fine powder. Otherwise, you will have gritty bits in the truffles.

Last edited:
What are cardamom seeds?

They are delicious! You can buy them ground or whole. Very aromatic. Often used in curries but also in milk or cream based desserts.

images-51.jpeg

I add the green ones whole (with the end nipped off) to rice.

I actually prefer the brown cardamon that is more commonly used in the middle east and India. It has a much nicer taste imo.

Split the pods open (you can do this by hand or crush in a pestle and mortar). Either remove the seeds and place in a saucepan or place whole split pods in a saucepan. Cover with cream and warm gently for 15 mins or so. Strain to remove seeds/pods

Can't you just crush the pods, then infuse and then strain? why remove the seeds before infusing? I don't.

I actually prefer the brown cardamon that is more commonly used in the middle east and India. It has a much nicer taste imo.

I'm guessing you are referring to what I call "black" cardamoms as per these?

cardamom.jpg

I call it black cardamom too. Black and green are (obviously) two different species of cardamom. The two types have entirely different tastes. I love them both. Both are used in Indian cookery. I always enjoy the challenge of trying to describe taste/aroma! So here goes:

The black cardamom is musky, smokey almost chocolatey with a distinct camphor like taste. The black cardamom gets its smokiness because it is dried over a fire. I think it is more suited to robust tasting earthy dishes with meat, lentils or beans although it could be used very judiciously in dairy based desserts.

The green cardamom has a floral, delicate citrus flavour and has fresh notes which are absent in the black cardamom. It is excellent cooked in savoury rice dishes such as Persian style rice or Biryani. Or just trying snipping off the ends of half a dozen pods (as @Yorky suggests) and tossing them into your plain rice as it cooks. Its delicate citrus notes work fantastically well, undercutting and complementing sweet creamy, chocolatey or coffee tastes, so it is ideal for adding complexity to dessert dishes.

Last edited:
The green has a floral, delicate citrus flavour and has fresh notes which are absent in the black cardamom. It is excellent cooked in savoury rice dishes such as Persian style rice or Biryani. Or just trying snipping off the ends of half a dozen pods (as @Yorky suggests) and tossing them into your plain rice as it cooks. Its delicate citrus notes work fantastically well, undercutting and complementing sweet creamy, chocolatey or coffee tastes so it is ideal for adding complexity to dessert dishes.

I'm sure your description is very accurate but given that I chuck a hot chicken curry over the top of mine I cannot tell.

Just call me a heathen,

Back
Top Bottom