Caregivers’ chat

Spent time with my folks (and other family) today.

Mom is just…miserable. She’s unhappy, dissatisfied, possibly depressed. Every time I talk to her, the first thing I always ask is how she’s doing or feeling.

I asked her that today, and she spit out, “I’m awful! I’m old! I don’t feel good! I feel old! I can’t see! I can’t do anything! I hate it!”

Ok…

Visiting with two brothers, my sister, and an SIL, we noticed Mom just sat there, slumped over, completely disengaged. Didn’t eat much, though she liked what she did eat.

Troubling, though, because she couldn’t remember common names for what she ate. She had some roasted carrots, and she must’ve asked three or four times, “What were those one things I had? They were kind of orange-like,” and she didn’t know what a hot dog was.

We all tried to make small talk with her, but she was so disinterested, it wasn’t possible. She just seemed disgusted with everything.

What’s more, my brother Lee (who’s staying with her while he’s visiting from out-of-state) says that she’s getting worse mentally. He said she was fumbling with her phone yesterday and told him she’d “put money in my phone, but I can’t get it back out.” - she doesn’t have a phone case or anything like that, and she was convinced she’d put money literally on her phone, and the phone sucked it in, and it was now inside her phone.

He also said she woke him up last night, saying that he’d brought her to the wrong house and they needed to get up and leave, because they were in a stranger’s house.

Onto my dad…he was up and awake when we got there, and he definitely recognized me and called me by name. He knew who my wife was (I think) but he didn’t know her name. Always the smooth operator, when we got there, Lee pointed at MrsT and asked if he could see her, and he said, “Yessir! I ain’t gonna miss a purty girl like that!” - he used to always tease my wife like that, tell her “you’re a mighty tall drink,” flirty things like that, so I think he knew who she was, but he couldn’t recall her name.

All in all, he was up and alert, but he wasn’t with it, really. At one point, he looked at me and asked, “When are you gonna get that paperwork done?” - I just said I’d do it later, and that was good enough for him.

He also asked about his mom, and I’ve told my mom not to do it, but every time he asks about her, she tells him his mom is dead and died a long time ago, which is like telling him for the first time, and he starts to cry. I’ve told her to just change the subject, the nurses have told her, his doctor has told her, but she does it every time. She thinks if he hears it enough, he’ll remember eventually.

Here are a couple of pics he has up in his room, from better days:

IMG_5622.jpeg

That’s from the early ‘80’s, on a trip to visit another brother in Oklahoma. He’s in his early 40’s in that pic.

IMG_5621.jpeg

That’s from the late ‘90’s, picking tomatoes. He was in his late ‘50’s there.

Spent time with my folks (and other family) today.

Mom is just…miserable. She’s unhappy, dissatisfied, possibly depressed. Every time I talk to her, the first thing I always ask is how she’s doing or feeling.

I asked her that today, and she spit out, “I’m awful! I’m old! I don’t feel good! I feel old! I can’t see! I can’t do anything! I hate it!”

Ok…

Visiting with two brothers, my sister, and an SIL, we noticed Mom just sat there, slumped over, completely disengaged. Didn’t eat much, though she liked what she did eat.

Troubling, though, because she couldn’t remember common names for what she ate. She had some roasted carrots, and she must’ve asked three or four times, “What were those one things I had? They were kind of orange-like,” and she didn’t know what a hot dog was.

We all tried to make small talk with her, but she was so disinterested, it wasn’t possible. She just seemed disgusted with everything.

What’s more, my brother Lee (who’s staying with her while he’s visiting from out-of-state) says that she’s getting worse mentally. He said she was fumbling with her phone yesterday and told him she’d “put money in my phone, but I can’t get it back out.” - she doesn’t have a phone case or anything like that, and she was convinced she’d put money literally on her phone, and the phone sucked it in, and it was now inside her phone.

He also said she woke him up last night, saying that he’d brought her to the wrong house and they needed to get up and leave, because they were in a stranger’s house.

Onto my dad…he was up and awake when we got there, and he definitely recognized me and called me by name. He knew who my wife was (I think) but he didn’t know her name. Always the smooth operator, when we got there, Lee pointed at MrsT and asked if he could see her, and he said, “Yessir! I ain’t gonna miss a purty girl like that!” - he used to always tease my wife like that, tell her “you’re a mighty tall drink,” flirty things like that, so I think he knew who she was, but he couldn’t recall her name.

All in all, he was up and alert, but he wasn’t with it, really. At one point, he looked at me and asked, “When are you gonna get that paperwork done?” - I just said I’d do it later, and that was good enough for him.

He also asked about his mom, and I’ve told my mom not to do it, but every time he asks about her, she tells him his mom is dead and died a long time ago, which is like telling him for the first time, and he starts to cry. I’ve told her to just change the subject, the nurses have told her, his doctor has told her, but she does it every time. She thinks if he hears it enough, he’ll remember eventually.

Here are a couple of pics he has up in his room, from better days:

View attachment 99770
That’s from the early ‘80’s, on a trip to visit another brother in Oklahoma. He’s in his early 40’s in that pic.

View attachment 99771
That’s from the late ‘90’s, picking tomatoes. He was in his late ‘50’s there.

That‘s tough 🙁
I find it effective to say things they would have heard as a child, like- “they‘re at the shops, they’ll be back in a bit.”
They easily accept this and naturally change the topic themselves.
But any which way it’s not easy.

Update on my mom - she’s officially been diagnosed with mild dementia. The doctor feels she’s ok on her own, as long as someone checks in on her a couple of times a day, but that diagnosis is a little too hopeful, as she’s up and down a lot at night, when no one is there to check on her, unless they spend the night with her (which is what she and her sister did with their mom when she was at this stage).

What can I say? It seems pretty clear she has dementia - although my Mum in her latter years did occasionally get very confused due to low calcium levels, I believe - so one should never assume.

Steve (my partner who has dementia) is getting rather worse in terms of getting up in the night. Currently, I'm still sleeping on the sofa downstairs (due to recovering from broken leg) so when he comes down I keep getting woken up. He is quite compliant with returning to bed, but nevertheless I'm suffering broken sleep which is affecting me.

Also, yesterday he had an accident in his trousers. Its the first time this has happened and it was really distressing. He had no idea it had happened and it was very difficult to persuade him that I needed to clean him up. I had to bin his trousers, pants and the cushion he was sitting on. I'm hoping this was an isolated incident due to something he ate, as normally he goes to the bathroom regularly. Yeah... I know... its probably the start of a new phase.

The guy from our dinner club has deteriorated. His wife is continuously cleaning him up. I feel so sorry for her. And you and others in your positions.

Russ

When they are up at night, they need a carer.
Yes, they do. My dad would wake up in the middle of the night and start banging on the door with his stick, shouting all sorts of obscenities. When I was a kid, the old fella over the road was picked up by the police, 2 miles away. He was wearing nothing but a white vest (undershirt) and was sweeping the road.
TR - I don't like the sound of "mild dementia" at all. Keep an eye on her!

Sadly, both of my parents have passed on. But I DID have a brother who had dementia, & sadly, we lost him too. I live in an elderly housing development & some of the residents here had dementia as well. As far as I can tell, they are alright. Dementia is a very scary thing!! It causes fams to have to live one day at a time. And hope that there will eventually be a medicine strong enough to at least slow it down. Our mom had eventually gotten dememtia from the strokes that she had, & it's so frightening , sad & scary to have a loved one get it, knowing that you can't do a thing to make things better for them!! :eek:

Last edited:
Update on my mom - she’s officially been diagnosed with mild dementia. The doctor feels she’s ok on her own, as long as someone checks in on her a couple of times a day, but that diagnosis is a little too hopeful, as she’s up and down a lot at night, when no one is there to check on her, unless they spend the night with her (which is what she and her sister did with their mom when she was at this stage).

I saw a YouTube video a while back where a guy didn't want to take his mom's car away, but didn't want to take any chance on her driving it. He had a cutoff switch installed in a hidden spot, so if she tried to drive, she'd call him and say, "My car won't start." Then he could stall her until she forgot what she wanted to drive for.

BTW, a hidden cutoff switch is also a useful theft prevention device.

CD

When they are up at night, they need a carer. My cousin's paternal grandfather decided to go for a walk naked in freezing weather.... fortunately, his wife woke up and noticed he was missing. He had a nighttime attendant after that.
My MIL did that once (minus the naked part), and that was one of the things that convinced MrsT’s SIL (where MIL was living) that it was time to seek out a facility.

So that's why Musk wants to build all the robots for. In some rich countries like Germany or Japan birthrate is decreasing since decades and at some point there won't be enough young people to help the old ones

Our Medicare and Social Security systems are dependent on current workers to fund the benefits that elderly, retired people get. With people living longer, we need to have a lot of younger people working to keep our social safety net afloat.

CD

Isn't it just a numbers game? Like we don't even have gold standard anymore, so we just lend money that doesn't exist anymore to other people. Some people don't even have a problem in getting old and weak, they see it as nature and enjoy it

Isn't it just a numbers game? Like we don't even have gold standard anymore, so we just lend money that doesn't exist anymore to other people. Some people don't even have a problem in getting old and weak, they see it as nature and enjoy it

I'm not frightened of dying. I accept it. I'm being cremated and put with wifes family. I could be buried in family plot, but it's cold and wet. Wife doesn't want to be buried.
I intend to hang around a lot longer.

Russ

Sometimes, when things happen, they happen quickly.

Just found out the police picked up my mom this morning. She was found wandering about four blocks from her home, and when they nabbed her, she said she was out walking around, looking for my dad, who was supposed to come home early from work and pick her up, and she was worried he couldn’t find her, because she’s been sitting in “a stranger’s house” all morning.

Of course, Dad has been retired for 25 years and is in a nursing home himself, and the house she’s been in is her own, where she’s lived for the last couple of years.

This is different than her usual delusions about circumstances. She’s always known what’s what, but she’s always twisted facts around to her own perception, if that makes any sense.

This, however, is the first time she’s not remembered something factual (my dad being retired and being in care). This is more like traditional dementia.

More to follow, I’m sure.

Back
Top Bottom