Recipe Carolina Slaw

CraigC

Guru
Local time
2:53 AM
This is from one of the regions considered to be a strong BBQ representative. They love their vinegar based slawes, vinegar and mustard based BBQ sauces.

Ingredients
1 large head of cabbage, finely shredded
1 medium bell pepper, finely chopped
1 medium sweet onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, grated

Dressing:
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 cup cider vinegar

Directions
1) Combine coleslaw vegetable ingredients; chopped cabbage, chopped bell pepper, chopped onions, and grated carrots in a large serving bowl.
2) In a saucepan over medium heat, combine remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Simmer, stirring, until sugar is dissolved; pour over vegetables and toss well.
3) When cooled cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.

Enough slaw for 8 to 10 servings. Delicious with pulled pork!

That is quite a lot of sugar! The dressing reminds me of old-fashioned salad cream - except that there is no milk or cream in it.

This is my secret slaw, everyone always says if I'm invited to a BBQ , bring your slaw Russ.
1/2 cabbage 1 large onion finely chopped, couple od carrots grated, then bests Mayo, and the secret, a good dollop of thousand island dressing. I've never told anyone I add this, but its so sweet and yummy. You really need to try to taste it.

Russ

This is from one of the regions considered to be a strong BBQ representative. They love their vinegar based slawes, vinegar and mustard based BBQ sauces.

Ingredients
1 large head of cabbage, finely shredded
1 medium bell pepper, finely chopped
1 medium sweet onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, grated

Dressing:
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 cup cider vinegar

Directions
1) Combine coleslaw vegetable ingredients; chopped cabbage, chopped bell pepper, chopped onions, and grated carrots in a large serving bowl.
2) In a saucepan over medium heat, combine remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Simmer, stirring, until sugar is dissolved; pour over vegetables and toss well.
3) When cooled cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.

Enough slaw for 8 to 10 servings. Delicious with pulled pork!

That's the stuff! I love a good, non-mayo slaw. And the idea of pouring the hot dressing on the veggies. Wilt them ever so slightly.

I often put some right on top of a pulled pork sandwich on a soft roll. All kinds of textures and goodness in one bite.

I thought I had put another recipe for a slaw where the dressing was heated before being poured on the vegetables called "Linda's Slaw". It was from one of my XSIL's Aunts. I just can't find it via the search function.

I thought I had put another recipe for a slaw where the dressing was heated before being poured on the vegetables called "Linda's Slaw". It was from one of my XSIL's Aunts. I just can't find it via the search function.

Can't find it on a 'search' either. I think I might have remembered the title...

Can't find it on a 'search' either. I think I might have remembered the title...

I went back through both the Vegetable and Vegetarian forums until before I became a member, with no luck. Guess I might not have posted it.

Back
Top Bottom