Recipe Carrot and Coriander Soup

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
12:31 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
It occurred to me that the one thing that this recipe challenge was missing was the standard and ubiquitous carrot and coriander soup. So I thought I would add one.

This one is from the BBC Good Food website and looks as good as any. You could substitute some of the stock for milk (dairy or otherwise) if you wanted a creamier version, or simply add single cream to the final version if you really wanted, sprinkle with paprika to serve, or even more ground coriander... The options and variations are endless.

carrotandcorianderso_1919_16x9[1].jpg

Ingredients (serves 4)

• 1 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 onion, sliced
  • 450g/1lb carrots, sliced
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • 2 pints vegetable stock
  • large bunch fresh coriander, roughly chopped
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper
Method
  1. Heat the oil in a large pan and add the onions and the carrots. Cook for 3-4 minutes until starting to soften.
  2. Stir in the ground coriander and season well. Cook for 1 minute.
  3. Add the vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Simmer until the vegetables are tender.
  4. Whizz with a hand blender or in a blender until smooth.
  5. Reheat in a clean pan, stir in the fresh coriander and serve.

I don't think I've ever had a carrot soup. I've had soups that involved carrot, but never anything that involved a carrot puree. I probably wouldn't take to this well because I hate the taste of pureed carrot and/or anything juiced. Corriander is amazing though.

This looks easy to do, and I will make it. I am a soup fan in general and orange soups in particular. They are all good, carrot, squash pumpkin. I am sure they are healthy as well...with a high dose of vitamin A. The worst part would be slicing and dicing the carrots.

Back
Top Bottom