Recipe Carrot halwa recipe

swalia

Veteran
Local time
1:01 AM
Carrot halwa is a classic Indian dessert made with grated carrots and milk.

INGREDIENTS
  • 2 and ½ cups grated organic carrots or gajar
  • 2 and ½ cups milk
  • 8 tbsp sugar ( add more or less as required)
  • ¼ or ⅓ cup evaporated milk/khoya (optional)
  • 5-6 cardamom, powdered or crushed
  • 8-10 unsalted whole or chopped cashews
  • 7-8 unsalted pistachois - sliced or chopped
  • 12-15 golden raisins
  • a pinch of saffron (optional)
  • 2 or 2/12 tbsp ghee
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. wash, peel and grate the carrots.
  2. mix the milk and grated carrot together in a pan.
  3. keep on fire and allow the mixture to simmer.
  4. continue to simmer and cook stirring in between.
  5. after 15-20 minutes, add cardamom powder and stir.
  6. when the mixture has started thickening, add sugar & ghee.
  7. stir and continue to cook.
  8. when the mixture has almost dried, add the khoya and dry fruits.
  9. stir and cook further for 2-3 minutes.
  10. serve carrot halwa hot or warm.

Attachments

• gajar-halwa-carrot-halwa.jpg
    gajar-halwa-carrot-halwa.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 255
This looks like something I would attempt. This would have been a great entry for The CookingBites Recipe Challenge when carrot was the ingredient. You should check it out @swalia. At present mushroom is the ingredient. I rather like this recipe though. Yesterday I made a coleslaw with carrots only. It would be nice to change it up like this.

I have had Halwa before it is very good. It has just the variety of spicy sweetness. I think it is one of the best Indian desserts and something that I would defintiely make if I had the opportunity. I do like Indian food and find it to be some of the best around. I just wish it was more common to find Indian restaurants. You have to seek them out in this area.

Carrot halwa is not my favorite Indian dessert, however, I eat carrot halwa when ever it is prepared in my home. I can also make this myself. My mother says, I make carrot halwa better than in restaurants.

This looks like something I would attempt. This would have been a great entry for The CookingBites Recipe Challenge when carrot was the ingredient. You should check it out @swalia. At present mushroom is the ingredient. I rather like this recipe though. Yesterday I made a coleslaw with carrots only. It would be nice to change it up like this.

Thanks for the information! I am new to this forum and didn't know about The CookingBites Recipe Challenge. I will definitely look into this.

Thanks for the information! I am new to this forum and didn't know about The CookingBites Recipe Challenge. I will definitely look into this.
It's a friendly competition and the winner gets to choose the ingredient for the next Challenge. When you read up and look at the delightful pictures you should want to come on board. Mushroom is the present ingredient.
Fresh carrots came in this weekend so I might look at the recipe further although I don't have all of the ingredients.

Thanks a lot for sharing this. I had tasted this once during my trip to India and it's absolutely delicious. I had forgotten about this until now when I saw it in the forum. Thank you once again, defo gonna try it.

Back
Top Bottom