Recipe Cashew and lentil patties

Local time
7:07 AM
Well I stumbled upon this recipe and liked it as it is somewhat simple and straightforward. I figured it would be a good one to enter in the Cooking bites recipe challenge.

Ingredients:
  • 4 slices wholegrain bread, crusts removed
  • 250g unsalted cashews
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/4 cup chopped coriander
  • 3 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
  • salt and pepper
  • 400g can brown lentils, rinsed and drained
  • 1/3 cup (95g) Farmers Union Greek Style Yogurt
Method:

Step 1
Place the bread in a food processor and process until coarsely chopped. Add the cashews, egg, coriander, 1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce, salt and pepper and process until well combined. Add the lentils and process until well combined.

Step 2
Place the lentil mixture in a bowl. With damp hands, divide the mixture into 8 portions. Roll and flatten each portion into a pattie shape. Place on a tray lined with non-stick baking paper and refrigerate for 20 minutes

Step 3
Heat a little oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook the patties in batches for 4 minutes each side or until golden. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.

Step 4
While the patties are cooking, combine 2 tablespoons of sweet chilli sauce and yoghurt.

Step 5
Place the patties on serving plates. Serve with the sauce and a simple salad.

cashew-and-lentil-patties-14205_l.jpg

https://www.cookingbites.com/forums/beans-peas-and-lentils.100/

Bravo! I was hoping someone would submit a lentil patties recipe (or lentil burgers). I make a version of this but not with nuts. Here's one I made earlier this week with a blue cheese sauce:

IMGP0152.jpg

Last edited:
Yum! I should try incorporating more lentils into veggie patties. I usually make a recipe for veggie patties with black beans and sweet potato in it as the base, so this would be a nice differentiation from those!

That looks pretty good. I would make something like that if I had the time. It looks different, and I am sure that it is healthy. I would need to translate the gram ingredients but othert than that it looks good and easy to prepare.

Well way to go @Caribbean girl. This is a nice one although I am not a patty lover. It's simple enough though. You got the judge"s attention so you are off to a great start. Picture perfect @morning glory.
I wasn't happy with that picture really (I'm very self-critical). Burgers are not easy to photograph attractively. But I recommend the above recipe from @Caribbean girl. Its straightforward - and I'm sure other nuts could be substituted for the cashews if you didn't have them. Once you have mastered a good recipe for lentil patties there are loads of ways to vary the mix. I put chopped chillis, ground coriander and/or cumin, garam masala etc. in mine (not necessarily all at once). The one thing to remember is that lentils tend to be rather dry and they need a relish or sauce. Yoghurt sauces as in the above recipe are very good but tomato based sauces also work well.

Well I am no photographer but the picture looks great. I'd love to hear more about the yogurt sauce. I have to get into making making more sauces of a different flavours. I have been off of burger of any kind for a while now.

Well I am no photographer but the picture looks great. I'd love to hear more about the yogurt sauce. I have to get into making making more sauces of a different flavours. I have been off of burger of any kind for a while now.
The yoghurt sauce is in @Caribbean girl's recipe. Its plain yoghurt mixed with chilli sauce. But you can play around with yoghurt sauces - try adding a few spices or fresh herbs. Tzatziki is easy to make. Here is good recipe from Nigel Slater. He says to preferably use goat or sheep's milk yoghurt, but I don't think that matters too much. https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/cashew-and-lentil-patties.7049/#post-49157

Back
Top Bottom