cast iron cookware

FoodEnergetics

Local time
5:40 AM
Hi guys,

I'm planning to soon invest in various cast iron pans and have a few questions before I buy:

- Are there any specifics to look for? I'm planning on buying a non-coated one that I'll season myself before first use, is there anything particular I need to consider before buying?
- Do they work well on an electric hob? Do they work okay in a barbeque or open fire?
- How much should they cost? For a cast iron skillet, for example, would one that costs 25 EUR/ GBP likely be sufficient? I think the larger pots cost more towards the 80-100 eur/ £ mark.

Any advice much appreciated :)

Thanks!

Hi @foodterminology and welcome to CookingBites. I'm no expert regarding cast iron pans but I think others here are. The two pans I have were pre-seasoned, which does save a lot of hassle. My favourite is a Staub skillet - Staub are experts and their pans are beautiful but expensive! The skillet I have is a small one (individual serving size) and cost me £58!

Cast iron work well on electric hobs and BBQ's

Last edited:
thanks a lot! I've only taken a brief look at the Staub site you posted but looks great! will take a good look at what they offer!

I don't mind spending on cast iron pots if theyre worth it! :)

thanks again

This is the Staub skillet I have:

Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 15.53.46.png

thanks a lot! I've only taken a brief look at the Staub site you posted but looks great! will take a good look at what they offer!

I don't mind spending on cast iron pots if theyre worth it! :)

thanks again

I bought my Staub from Amazon - check prices there before buying direct from Staub. Amazon usually have a cheaper price.

My dad collected old Griswold pans. He always like the smooth interiors of the older pans and yes old griswold and wagners are much smoother inside than the new ones i find on the shelves at the store. He used them on the coils of his electric stove but when they switched to a glass top stove the directions to the stove said not to use them with the glass top so he just used them in the oven thereafter for cornbread.

Thanks oddduck for your reply. In an internet search I've just found this link (hopefully okay to post?: https://richsoil.com/cast-iron.jsp) which references the old Griswold pans that you mention!
There seems to be quite a lot of work to do to prepare the cast iron pan, but looks to be well worth it!

It might be worth trying one out (maybe buy one second hand) before you make a huge investment. We have cupboards full of cast iron pans that seldom get used. A decent quality, heavy based stainless steel pan is far easier to use and to maintain, and I can't think of any occasion (other than slow cooking casseroles) where a cast iron pan has anything better to offer. I suppose it depends on what you cook on - we cook on gas.

It might be worth trying one out (maybe buy one second hand) before you make a huge investment. We have cupboards full of cast iron pans that seldom get used. A decent quality, heavy based stainless steel pan is far easier to use and to maintain, and I can't think of any occasion (other than slow cooking casseroles) where a cast iron pan has anything better to offer. I suppose it depends on what you cook on - we cook on gas.

I tend to agree - but the one thing cast iron is very good at is reaching high heats and maintaining even heat - so a cast iron skillet is great for cooking steaks for example. I don't have any big cast iron casserole (Dutch oven type) pans but my friend who I stay with (and cook for) has a whole set of Le Creuset. It is ridiculously heavy so I tend to avoid using it! Its also a bit harder to clean than stainless steel or a good non-stick pan/chef's pan. You often need to soak the pans.

So I think @epicuric is giving some good advice here - as its such an expensive purchase it would be wise to try one out if you can @FoodEnergetics.

The skillet I bought is small so not stupidly heavy - I partly bought it for food photographs!

Mujadara with Charred Cabbage
fullsizeoutput_40c2.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi there. This is something I can comment on, I've been doing a lot of cooking lately in my cast iron. Consider getting a cast iron dutch oven with two skillets . Here's an example: https://shop.lodgemfg.com/deep-skillets/3-quart-cast-iron-combo-cooker.asp I have an old Wagner like this one that belonged to my grandmother. Quite versatile, indeed. Season it well and go to town! You can google for seasoning cast iron, currently I'm using safflower oil and baking in the oven for an hour or more at 400F. About as non-stick as I've seen.

Hmmm, seems like I can't edit my previous post. Forgive me for not saying, in the first place, why a dutch oven such as what I linked to, would be useful. Two frying pans are greater than a lid and a pot, in my opinion. And, a dutch oven is wonderful for things like pot roast and whatnot. I like it better than a crockpot for sure. You can sear your roast on the stove with the deep skillet, add your veggies, broth and whatnot and cover and roast. Or, sear a ribeye, for example, and then cook it in the oven in just one skillet. My avatar is one that has finished cooking, but not resting. Anyway, if you're anything like me, you'll end up with something you like! I hope so.

Back
Top Bottom