Cast Iron Cookware

Termyn8or

Local time
4:12 AM
Easy right / Well until this;

I do not want it backened. You know how they are all black ? Cast iron doesot ook ikethat, I have worked in foudries and can tell you this with authority.

What I want is bare cast iron. A friend of mine had one and it cooked great. It is like the heat transfer is better.

I believe they blacken them now because it makes it easier to season, I imagine getting the oil to impregnate the iron itself takes a little more than to just soak the black coating. But I am willing to do it.

My friend died with his, and I asked his daughter for the wrong thing. (a stilletto) The skillet completely slipped my mind.

So has anyone even seen some bare cast iron out there ?

T

My friend died with his, and I asked his daughter for the wrong thing. (a stilletto) The skillet completely slipped my mind.

I don't understand this sentence at all... please explain?

As for cast iron pans, I'd always assumed they were black because of the amount of carbon in the iron but maybe I'm wrong.

Le

As for cast iron pans, I'd always assumed they were black because of the amount of carbon in the iron but maybe I'm wrong.
Let me take a "stab" at it - a stiletto, besides a style of shoe, and also be a style of knife, and I think the friend died and T asked for the knife, when he should have asked for the cast iron pan, which had lasted his friend a lifetime.

Am I right? :)

Le

Let me take a "stab" at it - a stiletto, besides a style of shoe, and also be a style of knife, and I think the friend died and T asked for the knife, when he should have asked for the cast iron pan, which had lasted his friend a lifetime.

Am I right? :)

Ha ha 'a stab at it' indeed!

I got the reference to a stiletto knife but I still didn't understand the anecdote. I thought 'died with his' meant he had been killed by being hit by the cast iron pan. Maybe I'm reading too many murder mysteries.:laugh:

Last edited:

When cast iron cookware is made, it comes out rather gray. Years ago, you had to season (blacken) it yourself before you used it. I would imagine that consumers had grown tired of that job. it now comes seasoned or unseasoned, giving you a choice. Lodge also makes it with a porcelain ennamal finish now.

|"Let me take a "stab" at it - a stiletto, besides a style of shoe, and also be a style of knife, |and I think the friend died and T asked for the knife, when he should have asked for the |cast iron pan, which had lasted his friend a lifetime"

You nailed it. I got fixated on the stiletto because they are so hard to come by. You know what they are right ? Switch and the blade comes directly out the front, switch it back and it retracts, It does not fold. Thinking back I was an idiot, when was I ever going to use that ? Take a knife to a gunfight ? That is not highly rated. (this is a gun type area, more of them than there are of us, but we got low crime)

That pan was so coated with grease that it would never rust. he did over half his cooking in it, if you can call it that. He was not quite the gourmet. (to say the least, and w/grandkids)

I should do a little writeup on him, quite the character was he. However I will do it in a word processor and try to catch the errors so it is readable... (someone mentioned that is a good thing)

Still, it is like a gone day. The end of an era or whatever. NOBODY KNOWS.

I got one last resort. A foodie overseas friend of mine, has been all over the place in Europe. And he's been here. (US) He might know.

I wonder if a good ruff n tuff sandblaster might not take care of that. Just take it off to the bare metal. But there was another thing about that one. There were some rings like in the bottom. And the sides where they met the bottom were squared off, not rounded like it seems they all are now.

HA ! I know where they are. They are hiding them. A veritble conspiracy to keep this technology away from the rest of us

T

I wonder if a good ruff n tuff sandblaster might not take care of that. Just take it off to the bare metal.
If you're wanting to take a cast iron skillet down to the metal, you can sand/grind it, or you can put it in the oven and run a clean cycle, or you can give it a couple of treatments of Easy-Off oven cleaner - just do it outside, wear gloves, and give the skillet a good coating, then wrap it up in a plastic garbage bag and let it sit overnight.

Carefully rinse and scrub it (still with gloves on) and treat again, as many times as necessary, to get it down to the metal.

Why do you want to remove the seasoning from a seasoned pan? :scratchhead:

CD

Becuse I wat my seasoning on/in it.

T

You mean you want to build up your own non-stick surface from bare cast iron? Seasoning a pan (as I'm sure you know but I'm clarifying for anyone who doesn't know) means to create a relatively non-stick coating by using oil and a hot oven.

Black cast iron can be seasoned or not seasoned. If unseasoned it needs to be seasoned. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious.

How To Season A Cast-Iron Skillet | Southern Livinghttps://www.southernliving.com › food › how-to

Here is a raw cast iron pan which has been oil coated but not seasoned:

Raw Oiled Cast Iron Skillet

1622387591809.png

Becuse I wat my seasoning on/in it.

T

Lodge, and other bare cast iron makers offer unseasoned pans. They will come new with a coating of wax that has to be washed off. Then, you start from scratch.

My unseasoned cast iron is antique Griswold, and you won't find those in anything other than black or rust. Most of my cast iron is ceramic coated (Le Creuset). It doesn't need seasoning.

CD

I am not so good with this quoting so I am uingthe old Windows method,

"Here is a raw cast iron pan which has been oil coated but not seasoned:"

That looks pretty good, and not black. I am willing to go to the extra trouble to season it bare. Not that I could find one...

"Lodge, and other bare cast iron makers offer unseasoned pans"

I went to their site and couldn't find any.

T

Back
Top Bottom