Cast Iron Dutch Oven

Local time
10:44 AM
I recently bought a cast iron dutch oven to use with my outdoor fire pit. I couldn't resist the idea of campfire cooking. So far, the only thing I've successfully made in it is chili, and it turned out great. That was made over a wood fire using a tripod to elevate the pot above the flame. I friend said as far as using it to make any kind of cornbread or cobbler, I should use coals rather than wood, and make a nice red-hot bed of coals. Does anyone else have any advice for me, or even recipes I should try?

i once saw a fella make biscuits in a dutch over , he sat it on a pile of charcoal and then shoveled some of the coals on top of it ...some of the best biscuits i ever ate !!!!

A good dutch oven is one of my most used kitchen tools. So much you can do with them.

You could check out Cowboy Kent Rollins on Youtube. He’s a ranch cook who did lots of cooking for the cowboys out on the plains. He does lots of outdoor cast ion Dutch oven cooking and more. Check out his older vids first.

We have one. My husband uses it to bake his round loaves of bread. Right now I am trying to convince him that it needs a place to live that is not constantly inside the oven. Nothing like trying to juggle a full tray of something into the oven and discovering some idiot’s left the dutch oven in there again! :laugh:

We have one. My husband uses it to bake his round loaves of bread. Right now I am trying to convince him that it needs a place to live that is not constantly inside the oven. Nothing like trying to juggle a full tray of something into the oven and discovering some idiot’s left the dutch oven in there again! :laugh:
OMG, I do that all the time, because I keep two cast iron skillets in there.

Only problem is...I'm the <bleeping> idiot! :laugh:

I recently bought a cast iron dutch oven to use with my outdoor fire pit. I couldn't resist the idea of campfire cooking. So far, the only thing I've successfully made in it is chili, and it turned out great. That was made over a wood fire using a tripod to elevate the pot above the flame. I friend said as far as using it to make any kind of cornbread or cobbler, I should use coals rather than wood, and make a nice red-hot bed of coals. Does anyone else have any advice for me, or even recipes I should try?
Your friend's got a point. For dishes like cornbread, it's really better to use hot coals instead of an open flame

Back
Top Bottom