Recipe Cast Iron Skillet Rolls

kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Local time
10:53 AM
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Website
mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com
I pinched the basic recipe from a member of another forum that I belong to and they are so good!

Cast Iron Skillet Rolls

Ingredients:

1/4 C. Beer (any type will do, I drink Trader Joe’s Dark Beer, MMM)
5 tsp. Sugar
1 envelope Dry Active Yeast (2 1/4 tsp.)
1 C. warm Water
1 tsp. Salt
2 1/2 – 3 1/2 C. All Purpose Flour
Oil, whatever you have, just to coat the mixing bowl
about 2 Tbsp. melted Butter, divided or to taste (I'd say that Vegan Butter would work)
approx. 1/2 tsp. Sea Salt, or to taste

Method:

In the bowl of a Stand Mixer, bloom the Yeast with the Sugar and warm Water.
Add the Beer and Salt; start the mixer with the Dough Hook attached, on the lowest speed and slowly add the Flour, just enough to form a ball and come away from the sides of the bowl.
Knead the dough on setting #2 for 10 minutes.
Lift up the ball of dough and coat the bowl with Oil, replace the dough ball and turn over to coat that too.
Cover the ball of dough directly with a piece of plastic wrap, this will ensure that a skin does not form.
Place the bowl in a draft-free place to rise, until doubled in size.
Preheat your oven to 375°F / 190.5°C
Turn the dough out on to a floured surface and divide into either 8 or 16 balls.
Place them into a lightly greased 10 inch Cast Iron Skillet.
Lightly brush the tops with melted butter and allow to rise again for 20 minutes.
Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
Remove the pan, carefully, to a cooling rack and brush the tops of the Rolls with MORE melted Butter and sprinkle with Sea Salt.

IMG_6458.JPG

IMG_6461.JPG

16 small rolls

Cast Iron Shillet Rolls.JPG

8 large rolls.

IMG_0225.JPG

We like the large rolls stuffed for breakfast

IMG_0218.JPG

Also, these rolls can be made in any sort of pan really. I used small-ish aluminum pans from the Dollar Store, along with with some of my homemade Split Pea Soup, I shared these with my Neighborhood Gal Pals on either side of us.
Prior to finding this recipe, I had never made my own rolls before, they're fantastic!
Time wise, from start to eating warm rolls (with more Butter please), is only 2 hours, that's it, pretty simple.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom