Cattlemen's Cowboy Rub.

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
1:51 AM

I've decided to get some of THIS.Cattlemen's Cowboy Rub. It's new! It is said to be good for low & slow cooking. I LOVE to cook low & slow!! Doing it this way makes all the flavors explode in your mouth & brings out that real down-home taste that you sometimes long for!! Puts your way of cooking meats in a world all it's own!! It's availible at Amazon. :whistling:

Last edited:
I make most of my own rubs. The commercial rubs are usually overloaded with salt. I'm not a fan of artificial smoke flavoring, but I know you don't have the ability to use a smoker where you live, so you gotta' do what you gotta's do. I hope it works out for you. :okay:

BTW, Cattlemen's Cowboy Rub is one of a gazillion products sold by McCormick spices.

CD

I make most of my own rubs. The commercial rubs are usually overloaded with salt. I'm not a fan of artificial smoke flavoring, but I know you don't have the ability to use a smoker where you live, so you gotta' do what you gotta's do. I hope it works out for you. :okay:

BTW, Cattlemen's Cowboy Rub is one of a gazillion products sold by McCormick spices.

CD

Thanks. I don't plan on "drowning" the meat with it. It probably DOES have a ton of salt in it. Most dry rubs usually do, even if or when you do it yourself! I'm just gonna sprinkle a little bit of it on the meat. At the same time, I want to be able to TASTE the meat. Slow cooking helps to bring out the real authentic flavor in foods, especially in meats! You can always add, but you can't take it away. Too much of anything makes the food taste horrible!! It more than likely has its own seasonings to it anyway.

The same thing can be true with BBQ sauce. If you put too much on the meat, it tends to overpower the taste of the meat. Some people would usually put the sauce on the meat before cooking it. It coould end up burning because of the sugar content in it, especially when it's grilled outdoors! :whistling:

Last edited:
What exactly does the "rub" contain? A guess:
Paprika, cumin, molasses (or brown sugar), garlic salt, onion salt, coffee (obviously), oregano, cayenne (or something similar), hickory smoke, cinnamon, cloves, achiote?
Just guessing!

From the McCormick web site...

INGREDIENTS​

SEA SALT, SUGAR, SPICES, ONION, GARLIC, TOMATO, PAPRIKA, MOLASSES, CORN MALTODEXTRIN, COFFEE, CARAMEL COLOR, MODIFIED CORN STARCH AND NATURAL FLAVOR (INCLUDING HICKORY SMOKE).

Yes, the number one ingredient is salt. :rolleyes:

CD

INGREDIENTS​

SEA SALT, SUGAR, SPICES, ONION, GARLIC, TOMATO, PAPRIKA, MOLASSES, CORN MALTODEXTRIN, COFFEE, CARAMEL COLOR, MODIFIED CORN STARCH AND NATURAL FLAVOR (INCLUDING HICKORY SMOKE).

CD

Do I presume that the ingredients are listed in weight order (heavy to light) as they are in the UK?

Do I presume that the ingredients are listed in weight order (heavy to light) as they are in the UK?

Yes, something like that. I don't know if it is volume or weight, but whatever the first ingredient is, it is the primary ingredient.

CD

INGREDIENTS​

CD

There should not be so much salt in rubs! It's so ridiculous for that to happen, especially when there are so many health concerns about the use of salt, which is why I will not be putting so much of the rub on the meat, or anything else. I probably won't know the amount that's in it until I'm able to read it. :yuck:

The nutritional information panel says that Cattlemen's Cowboy Rub only has 120mg of sodium... for 1/4 teaspoon of rub. Who uses 1/4 teaspoon of rub?

For 1 teaspoon, you are looking at 480mg of sodium. For one tablespoon, you are looking at 1440mg of sodium.

CD

GG, there are a lot of good rub recipes online. They mostly have too much salt, too, but you can cut the salt when you make your own. I have a really good one from Ray Lampe (AKA: Dr BBQ) that I can send you by PM (I can't post it in the forum because it comes from a copyrighted cookbook).

Here is a link to one of my own rubs...

Recipe - Baby Back Ribs with Dark Chocolate Rub and Dark Chocolate BBQ Sauce

CD

I also make most of my own sauces so that I can control the ingredients that are going into it. I have a couple of BBQ sauces that are pretty darn good. I think the blueberry Jalapeno BBQ sauce is one of The Late Night Gourmet favorites lol

Back
Top Bottom