Recipe Cauliflower cheese soufflé

Kake Lover

Veteran
Local time
10:38 AM
After 25 years of marriage, I decided that one of our wedding pressents should actuallly be used for its intended purpose.... a soufflé dish, which I'd used as a general dish, either for baking or serving. First I found a recipe for hot chocolate soufflé and it was amazing but my word what a lot of processes and washing up.
Next for a savoury soufflé. The thing is I'd never actually had a proper hot savoury soufflé but I liked the sound of one. The trouble was, neither had my husband and he didn't like the sound of one, so I decided to make it with cauliflower cheese rather than just a cheese sauce and it was a sucess! I followed the recipe for making a basic cheese soufflé.

Ingredients
2 oz butter - plus a bit extra for greasing.
2 oz plain flour
half tsp English mustard powder ( optional)
10 fl oz milk ( or a mixture of milk and cooking liquid from the cauliflower)
1 medium to large cauliflower
4 eggs
4 oz grated cheese - I use half Chedder and half Yarlsberg, for just the right amoint of tang and gooeyness.
Salt and pepper

Method
Butter a 6 inch soufflé dish.
Cut the cauliflower into small florets, discarding the leaves and stalks ( you could use them in soup or in a vegetable stock).
Boil in salted water until soft and drain. or as mentined in the microwave thread I cook my cauliflower in a small amount of water in the microwave, for about 5 minutes depending on the dish used and the power of your microwave, and all the cooking liquid is then added to the roux.
Meanwhile start making the roux sauce in a large saucepan, by melting the butter, slowly incorperating the flour ( add the mustard powder at this point if using) , cook over a medium heat, stirring continously for 1 minute.
Then gradually stir in the milk, or milk and cooking water, mixing it in thoroughly before adding more. Stir continuously until very thick.
Remove from the heat and stir in the grated cheese until it has melted and mixed in. Season with a little salt and black pepper to taste. When the sauce has cooled enough that the yolks don't start cooking, beat them into the sauce then mix the cauliflower florets into the sauce allowing the cauliflower to break up and become well mixed in.
Next, using a very clean bowl and whisk, beat the egg whites until peaks form that just hold their shape (electric is best as it will make the job much quicker). Then take a metal spoon and gently fold the whipped egg whites into the sauce.
Now carefully spoon the mixture into the dish.
Place on the baking sheet and bake for 25-30 mins until the top is golden and risen and has a slight wobble. Serve immediately.

This is interesting because my knowledge of soufflés is that they are made with a pureed mix. I don't think I've ever come across a soufflé with whole pieces of vegetable in the mix. I'm curious as to how that might work...

Last edited:
This is interesting because my knowledge of soufflés is that they are made with a pureed mix. I don't think I've ever come across a soufflé with whole pieces of vegetable in the mix. I'm curious as to how that might work...
I cut it into the individual florets, cooked until soft enough to fall apart. The souffle was still lumpy though, but in a nice way, just more textured I suppose.

yes I am also interested in adding vegetables in that..can you give idea what would be better to add in this recipe??

Back
Top Bottom