Hemulen

Woof-woof
Local time
2:38 AM
Cauliflower Gone Nuts
ku_b.jpg

Serves 2-4 | Cooking time 20 min

This is a simple curried cauliflower dish with additional walnuts and a versatile, mildish spice mix.

Ingredients / Spice Mix*

*can be substituted with a small handful of ready-made curry spice mix + a few additional spices to your liking

2 kaffir lime leaves (remove the leaf blades for easier grinding)
1 tsp unrefined whole cane sugar (Panela/Rapadura/Muscovado)
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp dill seeds (or 0.5 tsp dried dill and a tiny pinch of caraway seeds)
1 tsp cumin/jeera
1 tsp (powdered) turmeric
1 tsp fenugreek
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp granulated garlic
0.5 tsp (Ancho) chil(l)i powder
0.5 tsp powdered ginger
0.5 tsp black pepper
0.5 tsp fennel seeds
0.5 tsp (yellow) mustard seeds
0.25 tsp nutmeg
0.25 tsp cinnamon
0.25 tsp black cardamom

The Rest of the Ingredients

80-100 g/2.8-3.5 oz walnuts
1 tbsp ghee (or equal amount unsalted butter or sunflower oil)
300 g/10.6 oz/0.66 lb crumbled cauliflower (crush grain)
165 ml/0.7 cups coconut cream (or vegetable cream)
165 ml/0.7 cups water
1-2 tsp lime juice
~1 tsp salt (if using unsalted spice mix)

Instructions

1. Toast the spice mix for about 30 seconds in a dry skillet/frying pan on medium-high heat.
2. Grind the spices and walnuts with a spice grinder or hand mixer. (Note: the ground, oily walnuts stick easily to the blade/-s).
3. Mix the minced walnuts and crumbled cauliflower.
4. Melt or heat up the ghee/butter/sunflower oil in a pan and stir-fry the combined spice-nut mix and cauliflower on medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes until slightly browned.
5. Add the coconut cream, water, lime juice and salt and let simmer for 5-10 minutes until the cauliflower feels cooked/done but not soggy.
6. Garnish with e.g. dill and lime wedges and serve with rice.

ku_a.jpg

ku_d.jpg

I have all these ingredients, except for the kaffir lime leaves, which are an important part of the overall character. I love the way the flavors come together here.

Do you know what the difference is between black cardamom and "regular" cardamom? I have both pods and the powder.

Do you know what the difference is between black cardamom and "regular" cardamom? I have both pods and the powder.
Black cardamoms smell somewhat smoky - although this smokiness is a bit difficult to detect in the food. In fact, the black cardamoms are slightly less aromatic than the green ones, less perfumed, a bit more earthy, perhaps? I´d use green cardamoms for desserts - but not the black ones.

I think they are very different. As karadekoolaid says above there is a smokiness about black cardamom. I use them a lot and they almost impart a 'meaty' and yes, 'earthy' flavour to savoury dishes. I particularly like them in dal (lentils). I use them whole and crush them slightly as the they cook in the dal. They are one of my favourite spices. I can see them working very well with cauliflower in Hemulen's recipe.

Green cardamom has a lighter more delicately perfumed taste and works well in desserts (as said) as well as savoury.

Last edited:
I have all these ingredients, except for the kaffir lime leaves, which are an important part of the overall character. I love the way the flavors come together here.

Thanks. The kaffir lime leaves can be substituted with lime zest, (they're not the most essential ingredient).

I've always thought that black and green cardamom are pretty similar (just like white and black pepper - picked at a different stages of maturity). That's partly true, as green & black cardamom are from the same plant; green cardamoms are just picked raw. They're considered a bit more valuable as they're small in size compared to mature ones. Green cardamom includes both the pods and seeds. It is said to be stronger than its mature, black counterpart. Mature cardamom pods are large, hard and quite bitter. Black cardamom consists of just (ground) seeds, which are rather mild to taste. The pods may be dried on top of fire/embers, which gives the seeds a particularly smoky hue.

Although green cardamom is considered more suitable for desserts and sweet dishes, In Finland, black cardamom can be found in everybody's kitchen and is commonly used in wheat buns and cinnamon rolls - hardly ever in savo(u)ry dishes. I think green cardamom was not widely available (and/or affordable) in the old days.

Last edited:
Thanks. The kaffir lime leaves can be substituted with lime zest, (they're not the most essential ingredient).

I've always thought that black and green cardamom are pretty similar (just like white and black pepper - picked at a different stages of maturity). That's partly true, as green & black cardamom are from the same plant; green cardamoms are just picked raw. They're considered a bit more valuable as they're small in size compared to mature ones. Green cardamom includes both the pods and seeds. It is said to be stronger than its mature, black counterpart. Mature cardamom pods are large, hard and quite bitter. Black cardamom consists of just (ground) seeds, which are rather mild to taste. The pods may be dried on top of fire/embers, which gives the seeds a particularly smoky hue.

Although green cardamom is considered more suitable for desserts and sweet dishes, In Finland, black cardamom can be found in everybody's kitchen and is commonly used in wheat buns and cinnamon rolls - hardly ever in savo(u)ry dishes. I think green cardamom was not widely available (and/or affordable) in the old days.

Interesting as the black cardamom I have (Indian source) is completely different from the green and I use it whole not ground, to flavour all sorts of savoury things. They are both members of the ginger family but not the same plant at all. Edited to add that yes, as you suggested black cardamom is dried over an open fire which gives it that smokey taste:

Black cardamom is dried over an open fire, which is what gives it such a powerful smoky aroma. Beneath that are notes of resin and camphor, as well as green cardamom's menthol, slightly minty aromas that provide balance to a funky kick. These intense, heady notes put black cardamom in the "warming" spice category, along with black pepper, cloves, and chiles. It's a major component of the spice blend garam masala, which literally means "warming mixture."
Spice Hunting: Black Cardamom

640x640.jpg

Interesting as the black cardamom I have (Indian source) is completely different from the green and I use it whole not ground, to flavour all sorts of savoury things. They are both members of the ginger family but not the same plant at all. Edited to add that yes, as you suggested black cardamom is dried over an open fire which gives it that smokey taste:

Spice Hunting: Black Cardamom

View attachment 76341
Ah, ok, I was wrong: green and black cardamom are related but not from the same plant. I didn't search enough. Thanks for clarifying.

Here are both cardamom spice species mentioned. And yes, even the fibrous black pods can be used in infusions/stews if removed before serving; only the seeds should be crushed for powdered spice, though.

Ah, ok, I was wrong: green and black cardamom are related but not from the same plant. I didn't search enough. Thanks for clarifying.

Here are both cardamom spice species mentioned. And yes, even the fibrous black pods can be used in infusions/stews if removed before serving; only the seeds should be crushed for powdered spice, though.
I often use black/brown cardamom pods who (just bashed) in dishes. I'm not find of the green version, but love the black. my favorite Indian dish usually gets 6 or 8 whole bashed pods (1 per serving) in it. I fish then out as I serve and put them back into the pan to continue adding their flavour... occasionally one gets passed my husband. the first bite is usually ok, you don't bite a second time though! lol.

good to know they would work well. I've been eyeing up this dish as a possible option.

I'm curious that you wring the cauliflower when it's raw. when I've made cauliflower rice before, you steam it, then wring the liquid out... but that's usually for a gluten free pizza base that I make for a friend (or my mum when she's over).

I often use black/brown cardamom pods who (just bashed) in dishes. I'm not find of the green version, but love the black. my favorite Indian dish usually gets 6 or 8 whole bashed pods (1 per serving) in it. I fish then out as I serve and put them back into the pan to continue adding their flavour... occasionally one gets passed my husband. the first bite is usually ok, you don't bite a second time though! lol.

good to know they would work well. I've been eyeing up this dish as a possible option.

I'm curious that you wring the cauliflower when it's raw. when I've made cauliflower rice before, you steam it, then wring the liquid out... but that's usually for a gluten free pizza base that I make for a friend (or my mum when she's over).
🤫 Well..., I used pre-crumbled cauliflower.
20211204_175944.jpg

Back
Top Bottom