The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
8:14 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
IMG_1291a.JPG

Does my new diet spell the end of unhealthy food in my diet? For the moment, yes. But, it doesn't mean the end of tasty food. These turned out phenomenally well. I first wanted to make baked tater tots using my recipe for deep frying them. The weight watchers points once again gave me pause (5 points for a medium potato is 1/5 of my daily allowance). So, I looked at the cauliflower that I bought the day before without a clear plan of what to do with it. I didn't want to make straight cauliflower tots because I wanted the starchiness of the potato to help bind (and add that awesome crispiness when the frayed ends get burned).

The results were surprisingly good. The baked tots weren't as crispy, but I think that was mainly because I didn't do much to dry out the cauliflower after par-cooking it. I've updated my directions to do something about that. But, the taste is where things really stand out. The cauliflower tots were phenomenal: something about the slight sweetness of the cauliflower in combination with these seasonings made them taste like little crab cakes. This is a wonderful surprise.

Ingredients

1 pounds russet potatoes, peeled
2 pounds cauliflower (about 1 large head with leaves removed)
1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
1 teaspoon cracked black pepper, plus more for seasoning
1 egg, beaten
1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon dry basil
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons canola oil

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).

2. Peel potatoes. Boil for 6 minutes. Allow to cool somewhat, then grate using a box grater.

3. Shred cauliflower using a box grater (a food processor would work, too). Microwave grated cauliflower
for 4 minutes. Allow to cool somewhat, then remove as much moisture as possible using a sieve and a kitchen towel.

IMG_1288.JPG

4. Combine all ingredients and blend thoroughly.

IMG_1289.JPG

5. Brush baking sheets with some of the oil (I used about 2 teaspoons worth). Scoop about 1 tablespoon of the mixture onto the baking sheet; I used a mini ice cream scoop like the kind shown below.

0007089641112_500X500.jpg

6. Once all the tots are formed, gently brush the tops with the remaining oil.

IMG_1290.JPG

7. Bake for 10 minutes, then flip tots over and bake for another 10 minutes or until the exterior has a golden brown color.

These do look good - I'm pleased to note the use of the microwave (I'm often mentioning that we really don't use microwaves enough).

something about the slight sweetness of the cauliflower in combination with these seasonings made them taste like little crab cakes.
That really is interesting. Do you think the paprika contributed to the crab like taste?

I've got a load of left over mash and a cauliflower so I may give this recipe a try.

You can make mashed "potatoes" with cauliflower too. I steam it until tender. I also usually add 1 potato as it makes it creamier and gives it a little more body.

We love the fried cauliflower with agliata we've made in the past and this recipe sounds like something we'd like as well.

View attachment 15011
Does my new diet spell the end of unhealthy food in my diet? For the moment, yes. But, it doesn't mean the end of tasty food. These turned out phenomenally well. I first wanted to make baked tater tots using my recipe for deep frying them. The weight watchers points once again gave me pause (5 points for a medium potato is 1/5 of my daily allowance). So, I looked at the cauliflower that I bought the day before without a clear plan of what to do with it. I didn't want to make straight cauliflower tots because I wanted the starchiness of the potato to help bind (and add that awesome crispiness when the frayed ends get burned).

The results were surprisingly good. The baked tots weren't as crispy, but I think that was mainly because I didn't do much to dry out the cauliflower after par-cooking it. I've updated my directions to do something about that. But, the taste is where things really stand out. The cauliflower tots were phenomenal: something about the slight sweetness of the cauliflower in combination with these seasonings made them taste like little crab cakes. This is a wonderful surprise.

Ingredients

1 pounds russet potatoes, peeled
2 pounds cauliflower (about 1 large head with leaves removed)
1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
1 teaspoon cracked black pepper, plus more for seasoning
1 egg, beaten
1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon dry basil
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons canola oil

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).

2. Peel potatoes. Boil for 6 minutes. Allow to cool somewhat, then grate using a box grater.

3. Shred cauliflower using a box grater (a food processor would work, too). Microwave grated cauliflower
for 4 minutes. Allow to cool somewhat, then remove as much moisture as possible using a sieve and a kitchen towel.

View attachment 15012

4. Combine all ingredients and blend thoroughly.

View attachment 15013
5. Brush baking sheets with some of the oil (I used about 2 teaspoons worth). Scoop about 1 tablespoon of the mixture onto the baking sheet; I used a mini ice cream scoop like the kind shown below.

0007089641112_500X500.jpg

6. Once all the tots are formed, gently brush the tops with the remaining oil.

View attachment 15014

7. Bake for 10 minutes, then flip tots over and bake for another 10 minutes or until the exterior has a golden brown color.

My wife has replaced making mashed spuds with sauteed/mashed cauliflower.
She cuts up and par boils the cauliflower, then sautees it with milk, butter, and breadcrumbs at high temp so it crusts a bit.

I'm going to have to show her this recipe. Thanks, LNG. Looks great.

Back
Top Bottom