Caviar - different types

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
6:24 AM
[Mod.Edit: posts copied over from another thread to start new thread]

So what was the caviar?

Lumpfish Roe. Its around in most supermarkets in the UK and not expensive. This jar was £3.30 ($4.29).

290798011_0_640x640.jpg

Last edited:
It may not be as lumpfish is a Northern fish - lumpfish caviar is known as the 'Caviar of the North' found in the Arctic, North Atlantic and North Pacific oceans.
Wow. I never knew there was more than one kind of caviar.
Once again proving that CookingBites can teach us inexperience cooks (never been outside the USA) about cooking and the great world of ingredients.

Wow. I never knew there was more than one kind of caviar.
Once again proving that CookingBites can teach us inexperience cooks (never been outside the USA) about cooking and the great world of ingredients.

There are all kinds and grades of caviar. Ever had a sushi roll with the little orange spheres? That's flying fish roe. It's probably cheaper than @morning glory 's lumpfish caviar, been a while since we bought any. Then you have Beluga, Ossetra, Sevruga being "traditional" Russian caviar and the most expensive. You also have salmon and trout caviar, plus the American grown caviar from sturgeon and paddlefish.

We have a place in Fort Lauderdale that supplies yachts, and sells online, with various caviars, white and black truffles, high end meats like Iberico and Serrano hams, as well as other specialty products. Craig gets us caviar, truffles and escargot from there occasionally.

Last edited:
Isn't that expensive?!! :ohmy::headshake:
Where we get it from and what they have right now:

Top of line Russian golden Ossetra, 1 oz, is $165.

Brown Russian Ossetra, 1 oz, $83

Russian Beluga, 1 oz, $101

American farmed sturgeon caviar runs about $25 per oz. It comes in packs of 2 or 3, along with paddlefish and/or hackleback caviar.

Trout is $7 per oz

Salmon is $11 per oz

[Mod.Edit: posts copied over from another thread to start new thread]

Lumpfish Roe. Its around in most supermarkets in the UK and not expensive. This jar was £3.30 ($4.29).

View attachment 27782

Great type of caviar! I have read a very interesting article telling about the advantages of caviar and its eating. And no I am looking for the other manufacturers to compare. Thanks for the info, I will try it and compare with the mine.

Back
Top Bottom