Recipe Celery Greens Pesto for Fettuccine

MypinchofItaly

Forum GOD!
Local time
3:45 PM
Website
mypinchofitaly.co.uk

Celery is crunchy and delicious, both cooked and raw: we use it to add flavour to our sauces and roasts, or we just snack on it before we start preparing dinner.

But what about celery greens? Instead of throwing them away, you can prepare a delicious and aromatic pesto, perfect to spread over some toasted bread, or to eat with pasta.

Serves: 2 | Preparation time: 10 mins | Cooking time: 15 mins

• Celery leaves: 60 g
  • Almonds, peeled: 20 g
  • Anchovy fillets in olive oil: 3-4 fillets
  • Water: 1 tsp
  • Chili pepper flakes: to taste
  • Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) or seed oil: to taste

Method

Rinse the celery under cold running water. Gently dry it with a clean kitchen cloth, then chop it finely. Place the celery in a food processor, along with a tablespoon of olive oil. Add the anchovy fillets, the water and the almonds, and start blending everything together. Add more oil from time to time to make sure the mixture is moist, smooth and without lumps.

Tip: Celery leaves and anchovies have a strong taste! This is why we are not adding any salt. The almonds are meant to make this pesto a bit milder.

Celery-Greens-Pesto.jpg

Cook the fettuccine in a pot of salted water and drain them when they’re still al dente. Mix the fettuccine with the pesto, and serve warm topped by some flakes of chili pepper.

Tip: Store this pesto in a sterilized glass jar and cover the top with a generous layer of olive oil. It will keep in the fridge for 2 to 5 days.

Pretty. I was on board, until I saw anchovies. :wink: Just kidding. I'm sure I can leave them out. Clever to use celery leaves in pesto sauce. I bet pistachio nuts would be great too. One of my favorite pesto sauces is artichoke and lemon. Just curious. Some cooks insist, the best way to make pesto sauce is to use a mortar and pestle. What's your opinion? Thanks for posting this lovely recipe.

Last edited:
Pretty. I was on board, until I saw anchovies. :wink: Just kidding. I'm sure I can leave them out. Clever to use celery leaves in pesto sauce. I bet pistachio nuts would be great too. One of my favorite pesto sauces is artichoke and lemon. Just curious... Some cooks swear, the best way to make pesto sauce is to use a mortar and pestle. What do you think? Thanks for posting this lovely recipe.

ahhaa..I love anchovies very much, but of course you can leave (or keep) them or whatever you want.

Celery leaves are often thrown away and it is a real shame
I tasted this pesto step by step:

1° Celery leaves and Evoo oil - good!
2° Celery leaves, Evoo and anchovies - wow!
3° Celery leaves, Evoo, anchovies and almonds - OMG!
4° Celery leaves, Evoo, anchovies, almonds and chili pepper flakes - I love you

Yes, artichoke and lemon (and parsley) pesto is very good.
Some cooks are right, the best way to make pesto sauce is to use a mortar and pestle, and I sometimes use it. But, not all have one in their kitchen and not all people have time or patience to use it, so the blender is just perfect as alternative for a home made pesto and enjoy it like that..

Back
Top Bottom