The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
5:41 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
img_1086-jpg.jpg

This recipe would not have happened if not for the recipe challenge, but I'm glad I made it. This takes the savory Canadian classic and turns it into something that's still savory, but with undertones that almost feel healthy. Almost.

Celery fries are often baked, which I can understand. But, I wanted something as close as possible to the genuine article, so I used a deep fryer. Fried celery root, interestingly, tastes a bit like sweet potato fries, but with celery-flavored overtones.

While celery root does have properties that are similar to a potato, it lacks the starch of a potato. Thus, while I always soak cut potato pieces in water for a while before I fry them, this step wasn't necessary for the fries. Note that, other than this step, what follows is exactly how I make french fried potatoes.

The celery leaves were reserved from the celery stalks, which I used to make the gravy.

Ingredients

2 celery roots
salt (for seasoning fries)
Gorgonzola
Celery Gravy (follow link for recipe)
celery leaves (reserved from celery gravy recipe)

Directions

1. Cut away the exterior of the celery roots and discard.

IMG_1080.JPG

2. Cut the flesh of the celery root into fry-shaped pieces. If you have a french fry cutter, it will work the same way as it would with a potato.

IMG_1082.JPG

IMG_1083.JPG

3. Par-fry the celery root pieces. Heat the oil to 300° F (150° C). Fry celery root pieces for 4 minutes, then remove and place on a paper towel. The pieces need enough room to float so they don't stick together, but don't need to be fried in a single layer. Repeat until all pieces have been par-fried.

NOTE: This only partially cooks the celery root so the interior will be fully cooked later.
This is how they should look after this step:

IMG_1084.JPG

4. Finish frying celery root pieces. Raise the oil temperature to 350° - 375° F (175° - 190° C). Place par-fried celery root pieces in oil once the new temperature level is reached. Fry for 4 minutes or until they've reached the desired color. Remove to a paper towel, pat dry, and add salt.

This is how they should look after this step:

IMG_1085.JPG

5. Assemble the poutine. Fill a bowl or plate with celery fries. Pour celery gravy over the fries. Sprinkle Gorgonzola and celery leaves to finish.

Last edited:
I've never seen celery root, let alone seen them used in cooking. Interesting.

I would think its available where you are. A lot of folks don't know what to do with and it isn't a very good looking root when whole! Its in most supermarkets here. Its actually the root of a plant in the celery family, I think (not the root of the celery we eat as stalks).

I think it also depends on climate: we're expecting a low temp of 2° F (-16.7° C) tonight...I don't care how deeply those roots are planted, they aren't going to grow in Michigan, or anywhere nearby!
:cold:

I'm sure they will be more common when the weather's nicer, but it's hard to recall exactly because produce is so seasonal around here.

Back
Top Bottom