Recipe Celery Root Salad (Remoulade)

The OMWC

Local time
2:47 AM
Website
www.enjoyterracotta.com
celeryrootsalad.jpg

This is a variation on the classic French remoulade but made without pus, errrr, mayonnaise. It’s disgustingly simple and very refreshing.

1 medium or 1/2 large celery root (celeriac)
1 tbs Dijon-style mustard (I like to include some whole grain or coarse grain with the normal smooth mustard)
1 tbs white wine vinegar
3 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
black pepper
1 tbs chopped parsley
salt
1/2 red jalapeno or Hungarian pepper

Peel and julienne the celeriac. In a bowl, mix the mustard, white wine vinegar, and black pepper. Whisk in the olive oil. Toss together the celeriac and parsley in the dressing; adjust salt. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Before serving, seed the pepper, cut into thin strips, then cut the strips into tiny dice. Plate the celeriac, sprinkle with the diced red pepper, then dress with a few drops of olive oil. Now go wow your guests.

Great - I was waiting for someone to do this classic recipe for the current challenge. No mayo? Well, that is wonderful for me as I've an intolerance to mayo. The trick is to julienne cut that celeriac perfectly. It has to be fairly 'slim cut' to work IMHO. Yours looks good.

Great - I was waiting for someone to do this classic recipe for the current challenge. No mayo? Well, that is wonderful for me as I've an intolerance to mayo. The trick is to julienne cut that celeriac perfectly. It has to be fairly 'slim cut' to work IMHO. Yours looks good.
Gracias! I can do better now- when that photo was taken, I didn't have a knife as good as the one I currently have.

Gracias! I can do better now- when that photo was taken, I didn't have a knife as good as the one I currently have.

I use a julienne cutter rather than a knife. But if you have the knife skills then great. The other great classic, of course is Waldorf salad. Just sayin'...

That looks really good.
When we were in London last year, a friend took us to Zedel's brasserie, right close to Piccadilly Circus. I had the celeriac salad - something similar to what you made. Absolutely divine.

I use a julienne cutter rather than a knife. But if you have the knife skills then great. The other great classic, of course is Waldorf salad. Just sayin'...
Mandolines scare me a bit. So I use a knife, which for me is more controllable and safer. I suspect you could do this in a food processor, or if you're really into sacrificing quality for convenience, you can get pre-shredded.

This sounds terrific. I love remoulade, so having a lighter option that provides all the goodness of the classic preparation is a something I am definitely going to make (and probably keep handy in my refrigerator).

Back
Top Bottom