2 teaspoons salt
0,5 dl coconut sugar

10-12 juniper berries, crushed in mortar
2 shallots, cut into small pieces
1 tbsp white peppercorns, crushed in mortar
1 tbsp black peppercorns, crushed in mortar
1 teaspoon pink peppercorns, whole
zest and juice of 1 lime
1,5 teaspoons ground ginger (ginger powder)

Boil the water with clove buds and bay leaves, add the vinegar and dissolve the salt and sugar. Take aside, add other spices and let cool.
Layer the salmon or tuna into a glass jar with the liquid and refrigerate overnight. Serve with cheese puff pastries and lager beer.

Coconut sugar is reduced from the sap of coconut buds. It is available in Finnish supermarkets. Tastes a bit like brown sugar - no actual coconut taste, maybe a bit of caramel flavour (resembles my all time favourite: organic maple syrup). I bought a bag once just for curiosity and use it e.g. for this dish. Sounds more special than it really is.

Coconut sugar is reduced from the sap of coconut buds. It is available in Finnish supermarkets. Tastes a bit like brown sugar - no actual coconut taste, maybe a bit of caramel flavour (resembles my all time favourite: organic maple syrup). I bought a bag once just for curiosity and use it e.g. for this dish. Sounds more special than it really is.

Could substitute brown sugar then?

The combination of ingredients here are intriguing. I have always made ceviche with what can best be called South/Central American ingredients (hot peppers, cilantro). To be honest, I'm concerned about the intensity of the crushed juniper berries, peppercorns, and ginger. But, it also looks like this type of ceviche is as much pickling the fish (with the salt and vinegar) as it is "cooking" it (with the lime juice).

^ Well put, Shermie and T.L.N.Gourmet. Finns have this pickled herring tradition (loads of colour and flavours) so this dish is a combination of that and traditional ceviche.

The pic... well, not the best possible 🤭.

Back
Top Bottom