Cheap Ideas for Pescatarians

lizzief79

Veteran
Local time
5:25 AM
Following a lesson about animal cruelty and the way animals are slaughtered in the UK, my teenage daughter has announced that she is now a pescatarian. I am fine with this but I don't often cook fish purely because of the price. Generally, meals we eat with fish are kedgeree, tuna pasta bake, cod baked in lemon butter, plaice goujons with homemade tartare sauce or fish pie. Other than the tuna pasta bake, these are only made on a rare occasion.

Can other members of this forum suggest some ideas to me for cooking with fish. Price is an important factor in my cooking because I have four children and my partner and I are yet to win the lottery!

This is a tough one, since much of the fish sold at discount grocery stores comes from very questionable sources. Long story short, I've always been told to avoid any seafood from China. Apparently it's rather common for them to farm their fish in ponds near where they are raising cows and chickens, and they feed the cow and chicken excrement to the fish as food, instead of buying actual food specifically for them.

I had never paid attention to this in the past, but often wondered why some of the frozen fish I would buy literally smelled like sewage. Now I know.

From what I have been told, there are a number of varieties of fish out there that are lesser known, and close cousins to the more popular stuff like haddock. They are also much less expensive if you can find them. Swai and Whitefish, for example, are good. Swai reminds me of Tilapia, only larger. Whitefish is more narrow but thicker, and good for frying.

Back
Top Bottom