Recipe Cheats French onion soup in the UK

Burt Blank

Legendary Member
Local time
1:18 PM
Method. Open the tins, mix and heat through top with toasted french baguette sprinkled with cheese. Ratio 2 tins of consomme to one of onion.

I used to use Lipton onion soup mix when making Salisbury steaks or onion dip. Then I realized it had an off, chemical taste and stopped. Same with Pillsbury canned biscuits. They have an unpleasant after taste that I dislike.

Hmmm...

Baxters soups are probably best of the bunch. I've never seen tins of lazy onions - but to my mind onions need caramelising to be in a French onion soup and those look very white.

[Mod.Edit: Post moved from another thread]

It's been a while (the image is dated January 2017) but I may have got the soup from a tin and added the toasted cheese. I did have a tin of Baxter's French Onion Soup which I don't appear to have anymore. If I did have a recipe I don't have it now. Sorry.

Wow that from a can? I'll see what we have here. I can get Campbell's soup here. Thanks anyway. I'll try to replicate it.???????

Russ

Last edited by a moderator:
Baxters soups are probably best of the bunch
Give it a try. Also get a tin of the onions and become a disciple like me and Delia! "

Chopped & gently sauteed onions in olive oil
Already peeled, cooked , diced, lightly fried onions for your convenience. The onions are cooked from fresh and have all the flavor of home cooked onions without the mess, fuss or tears. Ready to serve straight from the can.
Only fresh Spanish onions are used, and Spanish onion is very well considered around the globe due to having a unique sweet taste.

They are a perfect addition to your favorite dishes including
Pastas, casserole, pizzas, hot dogs, burgers, risotto and quiches.
They used to be about 50/60 p in Sainsbury

Give it a try. Also get a tin of the onions and become a disciple like me and Delia! "

I've used the beef consommé soup many times before. I've added the Lazy onions to my next shop out of curiosity. Thing is though, I have plenty of time and really don't mind chopping and slow cooking onions so I suppose I never thought of using this product. I note that it contains: Acidity Regulator (Citric Acid) which I would have thought might affect the taste.

[Mod.Edit: Post moved from another thread]

Wow that from a can? I'll see what we have here. I can get Campbell's soup here. Thanks anyway. I'll try to replicate it.???????

Russ
A bit off topic, but I don't have time to post a full recipe in it's own thread. French Onion Soup - very easy. Slowly cook down a load of chopped onions in butter until caramelised (not burnt) - this will take half an hour or so. Add garlic towards the end if you like. Stir in flour, add a good quality beef stock (pref. homemade) and season to taste. Job done. To finish, toast a piece of rustic bread, top with Gruyere cheese, pop it on top of the soup in it's serving bowl and grill.

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite French Onion soup recipe (which is my favorite soup, BTW) was made with a good splash of dry vermouth. It really seemed to add that little something extra that just gave it a lift.

Jacques Pepin, when he makes onion soup, he puts the toasted bread in the bowl first, then the soup. I've done that and liked it that way as well, it was a little less...difficult to eat.

Back
Top Bottom