Cheats rillette of duck and wild boar

Burt Blank

Legendary Member
Local time
1:40 AM
Wild pigs are so common and destructive here they a nearly classed as vermin. I put some garlic, seasoning, duck legs and cubed boar shoulder in the slow cooker(no liquid ). Take the bones out of the duck then shred with forks. The legs produce enough fat to get a good set rillette.
72324758_668525483636970_3695217770728783872_n.jpg

72583038_668525500303635_6478891581138010112_n.jpg

Rillettes-8-cropped.jpg

Wild pigs are so common and destructive here they a nearly classed as vermin. I put some garlic, seasoning, duck legs and cubed boar shoulder in the slow cooker(no liquid ). Take the bones out of the duck then shred with forks. The legs produce enough fat to get a good set rillette.View attachment 43369

View attachment 43371

View attachment 43372
I need to try duck again, soon.
Last one I had shot it myself, pellets played hell,with my teeth.

Russ

Amazing! How long do you need to cook it for? Do you shred the pork as well, or just the duck? Can you send some over please? Sorry, too many questions, but I need to know. I love rillettes, never made it but now feel the need to.

Wild boar are invasive animals. We have problems with them, too. They can destroy an eco-system, so they are hunted pretty easily here. But, they are not as easy to cook as a farm raised pig, so they are not a commercial commodity. Good on you for cooking with wild boar.

CD

Wild boar are invasive animals. We have problems with them, too. They can destroy an eco-system, so they are hunted pretty easily here. But, they are not as easy to cook as a farm raised pig, so they are not a commercial commodity. Good on you for cooking with wild boar.

CD

All pigs, horses and cattle are invasive species. Wild or domestic. Wild Fork has frozen wild boar meat and there are probably a few others. In Florida, wild hogs can be hunted in all seasons except Spring turkey season.

But, they are not as easy to cook as a farm raised pig, so they are not a commercial commodity.
It is here. The national parks and wilderness area's are full of Bear, Deer, Mountain Cats, Wild Pig and wolves ect They have annual culls and a deal with a Croatian supermarket chain to vacuum pack and sell everything but Bear meat. The 3 packs top right are a Duck and two wild pig shoulder cube. The culled bear is turned into salami or sold to restaurants for Hunters mixed grill etc. The fees paid to the government by the hunters and the profits from the meat funds the wild life conservation. The Hunters grill below I ate at the Hotel Risnjak in the Delnice National park. It is Bear, Deer and Pig with sausage made out of each.
Outside the park in the wilderness area's in both Serbia and Croatia wild pig hunting is seasonal. My wife has a family member in Serbia who has a huge fenced in area where the Wild pigs breed. He is a international recognized Hunting dog trainer. People from all over Europe bring their dogs to him. He has a once a year cull. He sells the meat. He also has a restaurant that specializes in all Wild pig dishes including the next picture.
The last picture is of an individual hunt the very big Boars will be turned into sausage and salami
70751426_658057211350464_4469668226090926080_n.jpg

2005_0628yorkshiredales0128.jpg

2005_0628yorkshiredales0121.jpg

croazia_piccole_8-30o6nb2z5avx5ri4v46zrcmtefn5e00qjwrz8m348leiub8ws.jpg

I wil
I have done that, I strip the meat off the legs add the boar with a couple of spoons of duck fat in the pouch. Plus for me only salt and pepper.
l add this to my project list. Probably easier to strip the legs after cooking, it's basically confit duck with added pork shoulder. Divine!

Back
Top Bottom