Cheddar cheese is beyond amazing

HornedDemoN

Veteran
Local time
1:42 AM
From what I've heard it's a pretty popular cheese, but not a lot of people know about it here in Bulgaria. I decided to experiment with a new cheese I hadn't tried and went with cheddar, which strongly resembled yellow cheese (we call it kashkaval, but there might be another name for it) and wow - really a pleasant surprise. It's pretty expensive here, unfortunately, but definitely one of the best cheeses I've ever tried.

Not like blue cheese... :D

Most cheese is expensive except the ordinary one that I find in the grocery store. It is the usual cheese that we use for the morning bread. Blue cheese is expensive here so we are not oriented in that. What we have here is the so called cottage cheese which is made from fresh carabao's milk. It is soft and wet and comes wrapped in banana leaves. It can be preserved for a week when properly stored in the fridge. You can also fry it if you want to have another flavor. Fried cottage cheese tastes like another kind of cheese.

From what I've heard it's a pretty popular cheese, but not a lot of people know about it here in Bulgaria. I decided to experiment with a new cheese I hadn't tried and went with cheddar, which strongly resembled yellow cheese (we call it kashkaval, but there might be another name for it) and wow - really a pleasant surprise. It's pretty expensive here, unfortunately, but definitely one of the best cheeses I've ever tried.

Not like blue cheese... :D

I wonder if the cheddar you can buy there is the same as cheddar here. In UK, it comes in various 'strengths': mild, medium, mature, extra mature. It would be interesting to know how strong yours was - but difficult to explain on a forum!

Cheddar Cheese in the UK is only an idea so much as blue cheese is an idea of a cheese. There are so many different types of cheddar cheese and not just strengths (1-7 scale last time I looked) but regions and companies that make it as well. Irish Cheddar Cheese (google Wexford cheddar cheese or Kerry cheddar cheese) is so very different from Welsh cheddar cheese which is very different from.... and then there are the English Cheddar cheeses... not to mention the original from Cheddar itself - there is actually a place called Cheddar.

The original thing is now called
West Country Farmhouse Cheddar must be made in the traditional manner, with local ingredients from the British counties of Somerset, Devon, Dorset, or Cornwall.
which is a PDO or Protected Designation of Origin recognised by the EU and is similar to the French AOC system which seems with maintain the integrity of certain products.

I have to say that when I could eat cheddar cheese, my absolute favourite was Tickler Extra Mature Cheddar. It hit the right strength of maturity for me and had enough taste not to need too much of it so as not to leave the dish greasy. And the best bit was you could also buy it loose on the cheese counter. I always preferred cheese from the cheese counter, it was always much fresher and than meant more moist and if you were buying something such as Lancashire, Cheshire or Wensleydale, then that was very important!

LN_090493_BP_11.jpg

I love cheese too. My favorite is the extra old white cheddar. It has a very strong flavour and is very sharp tasting.
I like a whole lot of other cheeses too. I like to experiment and try new ones but I always have the extra old on hand.
I love it with crackers. It is so good. The 5 year old is devine!!

Attachments

• balderson-5white-280-lge.jpg
    balderson-5white-280-lge.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 335
We've brushed this subject before ,to me cheddar cheese should come from cheddar hand made stored in muslin ,not produced by the ten ton every week ,
Cheddar is a short drive for me and the best cheese is matured in the caves,as there is no pdo it can be made any where now but it's not the same as the real deal
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheddar_cheese

Here in the United States, cheddar cheese is pretty common. I agree it is very delicious.
Perfect on just about anything as a melted topping.

Back
Top Bottom