1 tsp salt
5 tsp baking powder
250ml milk

TO FINISH
1 egg, lightly beaten, to glaze
25g Parmesan cheese, freshly grated

EQUIPMENT
A 7cm pastry cutter

1. Heat the oven to 220°C(conventional oven)/Gas 7.

2. Put 450g of the flour into a bowl, add the butter and rub it in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the cheese, onion, chives, eggs, salt and baking powder and mix gently with a wooden spoon.

3. Add half the milk and turn the mixture gently to combine. Add the remaining milk a little at a time, bringing the mix together with your hand to form a very soft, sticky dough. You may not need all the milk.

4. Dust a work surface with most of the remaining 50g flour. Tip the dough onto it and sprinkle the rest of the flour on top. Fold the dough in half, then turn it 90° and repeat. Do this a few times until all the flour is incorporated and you have a smooth dough. It will also introduce air into the mixture, which will make the scones light. If the mixture is too sticky to handle, dust your hands with flour. Try not to overwork the dough.

5. Dust the work surface and dough lightly with flour, then gently roll the dough out to a 2.5cm thickness. Using a 7cm pastry cutter dipped in flour, stamp out rounds and place them on a baking tray. Don't twist the cutter, just press firmly, then lift up and gently press the dough out. Press together the trimmings and re-roll to make more scones.

6. Brush the tops of the scones with beaten egg and sprinkle with the Parmesan. Bake for 15 minutes, until risen and golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
IMG_4505.jpg

Great stuff! I've cooked one of his scone recipes before several times and I reckon using strong white bread flour is a top tip. It gives the scones structure. You have made them beautifully.

Great stuff! I've cooked one of his scone recipes before several times and I reckon using strong white bread flour is a top tip. It gives the scones structure. You have made them beautifully.

Thank you 😊
I have to agree with you on strong white bread flour, it's the first time I've used it for scones and this is the best result I've had.
I've never been overly pleased with my previous cheese scones so this is an improvement.

Recipe from Paul Hollywoods 'British Baking'

First Published 2014

CHEESE AND CHIVE SCONES

MAKES ABOUT 15

500g strong white bread flour
80g unsalted butter, diced
150g Cheddar cheese, grated
1 small red onion, finely chopped
2 tsp chopped chives
2 medium eggs
1 tsp salt
5 tsp baking powder
250ml milk

TO FINISH
1 egg, lightly beaten, to glaze
25g Parmesan cheese, freshly grated

EQUIPMENT
A 7cm pastry cutter

1. Heat the oven to 220°C(conventional oven)/Gas 7.

2. Put 450g of the flour into a bowl, add the butter and rub it in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the cheese, onion, chives, eggs, salt and baking powder and mix gently with a wooden spoon.

3. Add half the milk and turn the mixture gently to combine. Add the remaining milk a little at a time, bringing the mix together with your hand to form a very soft, sticky dough. You may not need all the milk.

4. Dust a work surface with most of the remaining 50g flour. Tip the dough onto it and sprinkle the rest of the flour on top. Fold the dough in half, then turn it 90° and repeat. Do this a few times until all the flour is incorporated and you have a smooth dough. It will also introduce air into the mixture, which will make the scones light. If the mixture is too sticky to handle, dust your hands with flour. Try not to overwork the dough.

5. Dust the work surface and dough lightly with flour, then gently roll the dough out to a 2.5cm thickness. Using a 7cm pastry cutter dipped in flour, stamp out rounds and place them on a baking tray. Don't twist the cutter, just press firmly, then lift up and gently press the dough out. Press together the trimmings and re-roll to make more scones.

6. Brush the tops of the scones with beaten egg and sprinkle with the Parmesan. Bake for 15 minutes, until risen and golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.View attachment 32817

I'm a pretty good cook but not much of a baker, my daughter holds that mantle, but I'm going to try this to see if I can improve my pathetic previous attempts.?

Russ

I'm a pretty good cook but not much of a baker, my daughter holds that mantle, but I'm going to try this to see if I can improve my pathetic previous attempts.?

Russ

I'm not the best at Scones..... but I was pleased with these, give it a go, it will be good to hear how you get on 😊

I'm not the best at Scones..... but I was pleased with these, give it a go, it will be good to hear how you get on 😊

I will, my wife loves a scone, because of her watching her weight she only ever buys them about every3 months from the supermarket, a pack of 4 normally. We have some here ATM. I'll put a pic up of them. Last night she asked me to heat one up. I halve it and zap in microwave 20 secs then butter ( it's ok in scones,lol.) then home made raspberry jam and whipped cream. It's her treat.

Russ

I will, my wife loves a scone, because of her watching her weight she only ever buys them about every3 months from the supermarket, a pack of 4 normally. We have some here ATM. I'll put a pic up of them. Last night she asked me to heat one up. I halve it and zap in microwave 20 secs then butter ( it's ok in scones,lol.) then home made raspberry jam and whipped cream. It's her treat.

Russ

A lovely treat too!
Love a bit (slab :D) of butter in a scone!
My other half loves a fruit scone, haven't attempted these yet though, maybe the next thing to try.

Back
Top Bottom