Cheese Club

Lullabelle

Midlands, England
Local time
9:01 AM
In our town centre there is a deli called Deli In The Square, on the 3rd Tuesday of every month they come to our local pub and bring 5 different cheeses the to try along with bread and chutneys. We went this evening because it was stinky cheese. Actually non were particularly smelly however the best in my opinion was Saint-Maure de Touraine, a creamy goat cheese, not very acidic but very tasty. We bought some Stinking Bishop and Morbier both will improve with age. They didn't have any goat cheese to sell but they did have some left over, they can't do anything with it so they gave it to us for free.

In our town centre there is a deli called Deli In The Square, on the 3rd Tuesday of every month they come to our local pub and bring 5 different cheeses the to try along with bread and chutneys. We went this evening because it was stinky cheese. Actually non were particularly smelly however the best in my opinion was Saint-Maure de Touraine, a creamy goat cheese, not very acidic but very tasty. We bought some Stinking Bishop and Morbier both will improve with age. They didn't have any goat cheese to sell but they did have some left over, they can't do anything with it so they gave it to us for free.
What a great idea! I love stinky cheeses and Stinking Bishop is a favourite.

Our evening meal today contained 2 of the cheeses we bought at the cheese club. On the left is Morbier from France and the other is the Stinking Bishop which tasted better having matured a little longer

P_20160522_173949.jpg

On the subject of stinky cheeses, I'm reminded of returning from a trip to the Highlands. We bought some unpasteurised Brie in a delicatessen in Elgin and made the trip back home on the train via Aberdeen. By the time we'd got past Dundee, the cheese was threatening to run off down the aisle of the train. It's safe to say that nobody was venturing to sit near us.

Perhaps this could serve as a commuter tip - stick some honking cheese into your bag before you go.

On the subject of stinky cheeses, I'm reminded of returning from a trip to the Highlands. We bought some unpasteurised Brie in a delicatessen in Elgin and made the trip back home on the train via Aberdeen. By the time we'd got past Dundee, the cheese was threatening to run off down the aisle of the train. It's safe to say that nobody was venturing to sit near us.

Perhaps this could serve as a commuter tip - stick some honking cheese into your bag before you go.
As children my brother and I renamed Havarti (a Danish semisoft cheese) to 'sweaty socks cheese' after our parents purchased some for us, rather a large amount and we were on a camping holiday with no fridge available and Denmark got unusually hot... the name has stuck in our family!

Back
Top Bottom