Cheese platter

valedevento

Veteran
Local time
12:17 PM
I really love cheese and enjoy a nice cheese platter every now and then. I love most cheeses and find a combination of a soft cheese (like brie), a hard and aged one, blue cheese and goat cheese. What combination do you like on your cheese platter? What is your favorite cheese? What do you like to serve with the cheese platter. I put grapes, dried fruits and nuts. Another original side dish for your cheese platter is a chutney, this is one made with butternut squash:

-600 g butternut squash
-2 red onions
-ginger (to your own taste)
-2 cloves of garlic
-2 teaspoons of sugar
-2 teaspoons of white vinegar
-1 chillipepper
-nutmeg, cinnamon, cumin and fennel seeds according to taste
-some olive oil

Cook the onions and garlic in a pan and add the ginger, add all the other ingredients and let simmer until soft.

This sounds really good. I have never made a chutney before but then sounds like something that I may like to try.
I like everything that is in it so I am sure it must be quite tasty.

Well its a rather complicated series of questions you ask. I could probably make endless lists of the cheeses I might put in combination on a cheese board. And list a whole load of different chutneys as well as fruit. A whole website could easily be devoted to such a question... and indeed there are quite a few, if you Google!

There aren't really any cheeses I don't like. I suppose if you are inviting guests then a combination of mild, medium strong and very strong is a good idea. There seem to be a lot of people( judging by a blue cheese poll I once did here) who don't like blue cheese. So it's best, I suppose, to serve a range of cheeses.

Fruit, nuts...why not? Pears are good with Stilton; apples with Cheddar; a blue cheese such as roquefort pairs well with ripe peaches. These are just a few examples. Grapes and figs, and almost any dried fruit work well with cheese. But beware of citric fruit such as orange segments, grapefruit, kiwi, and pineapple - fruits that are higher in acid tend to leave an acrid taste when eaten with cheese.

In the UK, a cheese board usually comes with a variety of biscuits and/or a bread basket. I could probably write another diatribe concerning pairings of biscuits/breads with cheeses. But I'm sure somebody has already done this for me, should I Google!

Olives are a good addition, I have never had them with a cheese platter, but it sounds great, I love olives. Or a nice olive tapenade. Of course you also serve bread and crackers. @morning glory, it is indeed a very broad question, but I really like to talk about cheese :) I LOVE blue cheese, but my husband hates it.

Your cheese chutney side dish sounds excellent. I have been really craving a cheese platter. Our Superbowl Sunday is coming up, and is a tradtional snack time for all. We American's love excuses to stuff our faces with fattening or semi fattening snacks lol. I have been contemplating my super spread for a while and I am going to try to cut down on the calories, but not the flavor..but a cheese platter with a chutney sounds super!

I like cheese, cured meats and olives/pickles. GIVE ME ALL THE SALTY THINGS! Seriously. Salami, pepperoni, any sort of hard cheese, green olives, black olives, crackers and dip - that sounds like a pretty good combo to me!

Yes apart from the olives. Blue cheese, brie, goat, cured meats, fresh crusty bread, my husband makes a delicious red onion marmalade which matches very well.

I am boring. I like one cheese and it's New Zealand Vegetarian cheese. I hope I have the New Zealand part right. I love cheese but as I get older I think it might be giving me headaches. Still I have to fight the urge to have it every day. It's like a drug. On the very odd occasion I try something different but the choices around here are not that many and the few are quite expensive.

Yes, we had fruit cake with cheese in Portugal, very strange combination but it works!

Apparently that is a tradition in Leeds, my brother-in-law serves Christmas cake with cheese every year, yes a bit odd but why not?

I usually serve a cheese platter as part of a buffet and add a range of chutneys, crackers and breads. At Christmas, we do sometimes eat the cheese with the Christmas cake. The cheeses I typically include on the platter are cheddar, Lancashire crumbly, stilton, brie, Wensleydale with cranberries, a soft cheese with herbs and white stilton with apricots.

I usually serve a cheese platter as part of a buffet and add a range of chutneys, crackers and breads. At Christmas, we do sometimes eat the cheese with the Christmas cake. The cheeses I typically include on the platter are cheddar, Lancashire crumbly, stilton, brie, Wensleydale with cranberries, a soft cheese with herbs and white stilton with apricots.

All round to yours this year then :wink:

Blue cheese is my favorite, especially the Danish variety. Delectable. I have made a few cheese and fruit platters in my time. I think the combination of certain fruits and cheeses is wonderful. Foods with a "mustiness" like cantaloupe and blue cheese work very well together. I also like a variety of grapes with many different types of cheeses.

Fruit and cheese can be made into a very pretty arrangement as well. I like to make food that looks as good as it tastes.

Back
Top Bottom