2 tsp oregano
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
12 tortillas
12 slices mozzarella
1 pint ricotta or cottage cheese
1/4-cup melted butter

Directions
Preheat oven to 350F. Brown the meat in the oil. Add the tomatoes, paste, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper. Simmer gently for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, place a slice of mozzarella and a spoonful of ricotta on each tortilla. Roll each tortilla and place seam side down in a shallow baking dish. Pour the sauce down the center and spread. Brush exposed tortilla ends with melted butter. Bake for 15-20 minutes.

Recipe courtesy of "Mary & Vincent Price's Come Into The Kitchen Cook Book."

NOTE: I sprinkled a bit of Parmesan over the top after it came out of the oven.

It looks very appetising and comforting.
It's definitely something that I'd call "comfort food" - very heavy and filling.

Since we were talking about (what I would consider) poorly written recipes in another topic...this one fills the bill for me. There are too many instances where I have to assume what the recipe writer means.

It's fairly safe to assume "2 tsp oregano" means dried, not fresh, but a professionally written recipe would state it regardless.

Tortillas...flour or corn? Simmer gently...covered or uncovered? These are all spots where the cook has to make judgments, and depending on their experience, may do so incorrectly.

Of course, it's important to remember where/when the recipe originated, and try to use that information for understanding, but it'd be so much easier if the recipe were more explicit.

Back
Top Bottom