Recipe & Video Cheesy Vegemite Scrolls

murphyscreek

Veteran
Local time
10:52 AM
Very simple....went a bit heavy on the vegemite, so for many the balance to cheese ratio would be a bit out. But hey, was perfect for me, and I suspect many other Aussies.

Recipe

Ingredients

2 sheets ready rolled puff pastry (thawed)
100gms vegemite
225gms cheddar cheese (grated)
1 beaten egg

Method

Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius. Spread half of vegemite over one pastry sheet, leaving about 1 inch along one edge uncovered. Spread half the grated cheese evenly over the vegemite. Brush a little egg wash along the edge left bare. Roll up carefully reasonably tightly, but not so tight as to squeeze ingredients out the ends. Carefully join ends along the egg washed side with gentle pressure. Repeat with remaining pastry sheet and vegemite/cheese. Cut each roll in to eight even pieces. Egg wash the pastry. Place baking trays line with baking paper or re-useable sheets and place in oven for 35-40 minutes, or until pastry is golden.

View: https://youtu.be/RKl1NT0U8WE

Last edited:
I really like this recipe, but I've never tasted Vegemite, and I've heard that people either love it or hate it. I'd have to search to find it where I live. I'd certainly give it a try, but no guarantees as to whether I'd like it.

CD

I really like this recipe, but I've never tasted Vegemite, and I've heard that people either love it or hate it. I'd have to search to find it where I live. I'd certainly give it a try, but no guarantees as to whether I'd like it.

CD
Mate, it's really an acquired taste and unless you've grown up eating it like many Aussies my age have, it's quite understandable why many hate the stuff if they're new to it. A little bit goes a long way, unless again like me you've been eating it forever and have needed it spread on thicker and thicker as the years have rolled by to get the same "hit".

Acceptable substitutes are marmite and promite.

Acceptable substitutes are marmite and promite.

Although interestingly, Vegemite is far better for you than Marmite:

"Marmite is a British brewer’s yeast extract spread that was developed in 1902. Compared to Vegemite, Marmite contains:

• 30% less vitamin B1 (thiamine)
  • 20% less vitamin B2 (riboflavin)
  • 28% more vitamin B3 (niacin)
  • 38% less vitamin B9 (folate)"
Promite has a lot more sugar in it than either.

Although interestingly, Vegemite is far better for you than Marmite:

One thing I know is that Vegemite is much milder than Marmite. I can eat lashings of Vegemite compared to Marmite. I like them both. The mistake newbies make is to use too much. The merest wisp spread on some buttered bread is enough for beginners.

I liked this recipe, but have never eaten Vegemite (or Marmite). I've only heard things like, "It's an acquired taste," or that "You either love it or hate it."

CD

Back
Top Bottom