Chef Marco Pierre White - Controversy Over Knorr Cooking Videos

OhioTom76

Guru
Local time
9:38 AM
From what I've read, he became rather infamous for winning several Michelin stars then turning them in and kind of snubbing the industry, before becoming a spokesperson for various food brands. He was also a mentor to Gordon Ramsay as well.

I've been getting a kick out of some of the videos he did for Knorr bouillon products. He's pretentious as all hell, which is kind of funny, but I don't doubt his cooking abilities. More recently I've read that he's come under fire for pitching Knorr, since their bouillon cubes are basically just salt and MSG. He also got criticized for posting a "Jamaican" chicken recipe, which was not authentic at all - and it caused so much uproar that Knorr took down the video.

Your thoughts?

Well, I know what you mean about pretentious although he would like to argue that he isn't and wants to upturn the snobbery of fine dining. But I do use Knorr stock cubes and they don't (at least in the UK) have MSG although they are high in salt. However, recently they have introduced a very low salt stock cube. I also use Knorr Stockpots which are a great product, particularly the beef. Who is seriously going to make their own beef stock in a domestic kitchen (not even me!)

Why pretentious?
I've met the man him self ,one of the head chefs in a group of hotels I worked for used to fish with him,in the catering world he is highly respected ,for his high standards and input into the industry ,he's a straight forward talking guy ,he's trained the best and was trained by the best ,Knorr let's face it is a money machine ,if some one is prepared to pay a heap of money to endorse their product ,what would you do ?two divorces dont come cheap,I've never understood his connection with the product but if his face sells the product all is good
If you believe what the TV shows you all the time,well that's up to you!

I always thought that his philosophy was to keep it simple, stockpots etc' do that for working people who don't have the time to fanny about in the kitchen being perfect.
Massive respect to him for not being a snob!

Back
Top Bottom