Retro Recipe Chelsea Buns

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
10:46 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
The recipe comes from my late Grannie's recipe collection and this one dates from 1950's.
To adjust it to the modern world of packet yeast, I would recommend 1 packet in exchange for the 1/2 oz fresh yeast unless the directions state otherwise. I would also mix the yeast as per the instructions here, simply because the yeast is not really being activated in the standard sense if you read the instructions.

Chelsea Buns

Ingredients

2oz butter
8oz flour
1/2oz (fresh) yeast
2oz caster sugar
1/2 gill* milk
1 egg
2oz currants and mixed peel

Method
Rub the butter into the warm, sifted flour.
Cream the yeast with 1tsp of sugar.
Bring the water and milk to blood heat and beat in the egg
Add the egg mixture to the yeast mixture and stir into the flour.
Knead until the dough is smooth.
Put the dough in a warm place and cover it with a cloth. Leave it to rise for an hour. It should double in size.
Turn out the dough onto a floured pastry board and knead lightly for a moment, then roll out the dough into an oblong nearly a foot long and about 1/2 inch thick.**
Brush this with melted butter, sprinkle on the currants and mixed peel and the rest of the sugar.
Roll up the dough into a long sausage.***
Cut it in slices of equal width, put them side by side, cut ends face upwards, in a greased oblong tin.
Let them rise in a warm place for around half an hour.
Bake at Regulo 7, 425F for about 25 minutes.
Glaze with sugar and water syrup when they are almost done.
Let them get cold before tearing apart.

*A gill is equivalent to 1/4 pint or 5 fluid ounces.
** I am expecting a long thin rectangle at this point.
*** You want to create a long thin Swiss roll type dough here, which will be sliced up prior to baking.

You are aiming for something that looks a little like this

chelseabuns.jpg

Last edited:
A British breakfast pastry at its best ,let's beat the French at their own thin,needs the syrup or sugar icing ,can dry out quickly

Back
Top Bottom