The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
6:49 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
IMG_0664.JPG

Yet another recipe inspired by @detroitdad's excellent Blueberry Barbecue Sauce recipe. The cherries worked out particularly well.

Ingredients

2 pounds cherries
1/3 cup apple vinegar
1/2 onion diced
1/4 cup brown mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 serrano pepper diced
1 large tomato cored and diced (or 8 ounces canned tomatoes)

Instructions

1. Pit the cherries. If you don't own a cherry pitter, use a chopstick: remove the stem, and push through the stem end until the pit comes out.

img_0636-jpg.jpg

2. Combine all ingredients in a pot.

IMG_0660.JPG

3. Cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes. You will feel tempted to stop early, but don’t: the extra time is needed to boil off the moisture and soften the vegetables. Otherwise, you’ll end up with a thin sauce.

IMG_0662.JPG

4. Purée in food processor.

5. Store in glass jars. Allow to cool slightly before refrigerating.

Last edited:
Re pitting cherries, you can also smack them with the flat of the knife like you would do with garlic cloves. Olives with pits can be done this way too.
I imagine it's a good idea to wear a red apron, and clear everything out of harms way if you value the color (particularly white things). It was all I could do to keep spatter down doing it the way I did it. But, maybe if I covered it with plastic wrap first...?

I imagine it's a good idea to wear a red apron, and clear everything out of harms way if you value the color (particularly white things). It was all I could do to keep spatter down doing it the way I did it. But, maybe if I covered it with plastic wrap first...?

Well, it's not like you would smack it hard enough to flatten it. Just hard enough to break the flesh open some. I get some splatter on the cutting board and counter, but really not that much. I also wear comfy around the house clothes when cooking so if they get a little splatter, eh...no biggie.

I'd probably put them in a plastic bag if I was worried about mess. You'd also collect all the juice that way.

Last edited:
Or you could just wear a "Today in the Kitchen" T-Shirt... :okay:

Back
Top Bottom