Chestnuts

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
6:31 PM
Do you use them - do you have them where you live? How do you use them? I found these on a recent walk. Not the best - the squirrels got to them first:

fullsizeoutput_3c4b.jpeg

The only ways I've had them wad roasted over charcoal, sold by street vendors in winter in NYC, and in stuffing with a roast turkey.

I used to buy a bag of hot chestnuts in a bag in New York City from Street vendors. So good on a cold day. I like chestnuts in dressing/stuffing with roast turkey on Thanksgiving. I made the mistake of buying them canned once. Won't do that again.

Yes - the hot roasted chestnuts from street vendors! In some market places around the UK that tradition continues although not as much as in the past. Chestnuts are great roasted with sprouts too.

We can only obtain water chestnuts here and only in season. I add them to chop suey.

water chestnuts 3 s.jpg

Did you ever hear the one about the tournament of chess aficionados?

At the conclusion of a night of intense contests, the players stood in the doorway bragging about some of their more brilliant moves.

A guy driving by said, "Oh look, chess nuts boasting in an open foyer!"

Not even in a Chinese takeaway in the UK? They really don't taste of very much.

If I remember correctly the last Chinese takeaway I had in UK was 50 years ago. There could have been anything in it (and probably was). I spent 12 months in China late last century and don't recall having them there either.

We've talked about trying some. One of the markets we regularly shop at carries them. Maybe soon.

Back
Top Bottom