Chia Seeds

creative

Veteran
Local time
6:04 AM
I see that chia seeds are one of the new superfoods - boasting a high nutritive value. I have tasted them (for what that's worth)....gritty and very bland...not even attractive looking! Not tempted to buy them. Anyone else? I guess they would be a beneficial ingredient to a granola/muesli.

I see that chia seeds are one of the new superfoods - boasting a high nutritive value. I have tasted them (for what that's worth)....gritty and very bland...not even attractive looking! Not tempted to buy them. Anyone else? I guess they would be a beneficial ingredient to a granola/muesli.
Aren't you supposed to cook or soak them - then they go soft and jelly like - or am I confusing them with something else? I'm sure I experimented with them once...

googled.... yes I think I remember now. They don't go completely soft - a bit gritty still, when cooked. I can't remember too well. I may have some somewhere...
Chia-Pudding_PS_2.jpg

Oh I had them in a little cup (taster) at a health shop mixed with other things....so they were wrongly served then?

Oh I had them in a little cup (taster) at a health shop mixed with other things....so they were wrongly served then?
They can be eaten raw but really come into there own when soaked - as you can see from the image. I think you just soak not cook. They should have known that in the heath shop.

They can be eaten raw but really come into there own when soaked - as you can see from the image. I think you just soak not cook. They should have known that in the heath shop.
Right...think I will give it a miss then if they are akin to tapioca...dislike that kind of mucilage texture.

I've never really tried them, although I believe there may have been a small amount in some organic granola I bought a couple of months ago. Although there are no known interactions, one brand of one of my medications does not recommend certain seeds and I'm sure chia seeds were on that list (so was linseed, and I've eaten linseed bread with no obvious problems). It's the blood pressure lowering quality that worries me, though. My BP is low enough as it is :D

Back
Top Bottom