Chicago Cuban food

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
2:07 AM
I watched diners foody programme last night about a joint in Chicago called 90 miles? Because it's 90 miles from Cuba? The food looked real tasty and I wondered if it was as good as they portrayed it. I know we have posters here from Chicago and wondered if I could confirm it was a good place to try??

Russ

Cuba is 90 miles from Key West in Florida. There's a marker there and it's a tourist photo op. Key West is a lllooonnnggg way from Chicago.

The description on the menu lists the ingredients of a true Cuban sandwich and the picture looks like it should.

Yes, the 90 miles name refers to the closest distance between the US and Cuba, as medtran said.

Cuban food is really not difficult to make. I believe there are some recipes on this forum. Try it.

CD

Cuban food is very good and sometimes, very rich in ingredients.

I used to live in Key West, Florida and my favorite Cuban food there was a burrito called a mammoo and the cuban marisco which included all kinds of sea food items in a tomato base.

Recipe - Ropa Vieja

Recipe - Cuban Chicken and Corn Pie

The chicken and yellow rice we made last night is also a Cuban dish, but I took the easy way out and doctored up a prespiced package of yellow rice instead of making it from scratch. Craig prefers the scratch method, but I actually like the prepackaged rice mix the best. So, unless he's the 1 doing the cooking, it's Viggo yellow rice mix for us.

Last edited:
Kind of a funny story. I moved to Florida when I was 15 with my mother. I met my first serious boyfriend a few months after, he later became my first hubs. He was a Cuban and had been sent to the U.S. by his parents when Castro first took over. He still had a fairly good accent and had trouble saying certain words. He kept telling me and my mother about how good chicken and "jello" rice was and trying to get us to try it. Well, we were kind of grossed out because we thought it was made with jello, i.e. gelatin. Once he finally brought us some for dinner 1 night, we finally realized "jello" was yellow.

Photo source: Make This Pork-Packed Cuban Sandwich at Home, Never Look Back

Here's one that was made on a panini grill!! Looks DELISH!! Next time that I get a fresh shoulder, I'm making one!! :hungry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom