Recipe Chicago Style Hot Dogs

cupcakechef

Veteran
Local time
9:19 AM
Japan (expat by way of Australia and USA)
Following on from @Bakemehappy's post about New York Style hot dogs, it reminded me of Chicago style hot dogs which are probably my favorite take on the humble hot dog!

Here's how you make a Chicago Style dog:

1 all-beef hot dog
1 poppyseed hot dog bun
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
1 tablespoon sweet green pickle relish
1 tablespoon chopped onion
4 tomato wedges
1 dill pickle spear
2 sport peppers
A dash of celery salt

Method:

Bring a pot of water to a boil. Reduce heat to low, place hot dog in water, and cook until done. Remove hot dog and set aside. Heat your hot dog bun.

Place hot dog in the steamed bun. Add the toppings: yellow mustard, sweet green pickle relish, onion, tomato wedges, pickle spear, sport peppers, and celery salt. The tomatoes should be nestled between the hot dog and the top of the bun. Place the pickle between the hot dog and the bottom of the bun. Don't even think about ketchup!

SportPepper-400.jpg

Sport peppers are one of the things that might be hard to find outside the States. I haven't seen them anywhere in Japan - I'll have to research what might be a good substitute!

I think I may have to try the sport peppers. So you boiled the hotdogs? I guess we can also steam them. I am not a fan of tomatoes I would just put more dill instead.

What I might have to add is a Bajan Style hot dog. Sport peppers? I have seriously never seen any of those.

Sonic(FF restaurant) does a good Chicago style dog. I think they serve them on poppyseed rolls too. When I was a kid, I always ordered my hot dogs with everything on them...which covered all of the bases. I still put a lot of toppings on my hot dogs when I get the chance. When I make them at home though...I am far more conservative. Who wants to get all that stuff out, chop and prepare.?Just give me some ketchup and mustard with some chopped onions..I am fine..

Never heard of or seen Sport Peppers before so I am assuming they are not available in this area. I have to have ketchup on my dogs. I usually add hot peppers to mine. I like the heat. I may try these but just substitute the sport pepper for other hot pepper. I am guessing that sport peppers are hot.

Back
Top Bottom