1/3 cup Chinese cooking wine
1/4 cup light soy sauce
1 1/2 tbsp cornflour
2 eggs beaten
3 shallots finely chopped
1/2 cup sliced spring onions
Salt and ground white pepp

Method

Simmer chicken, ginger, garlic, wine, and soy sauce in 8 cups water. When chicken is cooked, remove and shred and reserve chicken meat. Add skin and bones back to stock and continue simmering (skimming any impurities) another 45 minutes. Meanwhile, blend up two cups of the corn leaving 1 1/2 cups still whole. When stock ready strain it. In a large pot gently fry shallots till soft. Pour in about 2/3 of the stock, then add pureed corn, whole corn kernels, reserved chicken, spring onions, and salt and pepper to taste and bring back to a simmer. Add cornflour to thicken, then slowly pour in egg stirring continuously. Serve with a few more sliced spring onions for garnish.

Video:

View: https://youtu.be/SyAkKSKogy8

I used to make something like this all the time, except with creamed corn instead of whole kernels. I find that having the creamed corn to start with makes it a lot more convenient when I only have 10-15m because I don't need to worry about thickening the soup. This brings back memories~

My son absolutely loves this soup. We had a smorgasbord Chinese place here years ago, I think from memory he had 10 ? Bowls. The one I make I add only the white at the end, not the whole egg? Your thoughts please ?

Russ

My son absolutely loves this soup. We had a smorgasbord Chinese place here years ago, I think from memory he had 10 ? Bowls. The one I make I add only the white at the end, not the whole egg? Your thoughts please ?

Russ

I think just the whites is more authentic, but I like using the whole egg.

Back
Top Bottom